× Members

Your DLA is ending letter

More
8 years 1 week ago #160996 by shaunw
Your DLA is ending letter was created by shaunw
Hi,

I have a client who has received a "Your DLA is ending" letter from the DWP. A few months ago he received a letter saying his DLA award would run until November but if he wished he could make a PIP claim immediately. Knowing the problems PIP claimants were experiencing I advised him to wait and carry on in receipt of DLA for the time being.

He now has the letter mentioned above which states that if he wants to make a PIP claim he must call them by 29th June. It also states that if he does not want to claim PIP he should call a different number and that "When you contact us we will explain when your DLA will end". Additionally the letter states "If you don't contact us your DLA will end. We will contact you to let you know when you'll get your last payment."

He is in two minds about whether to apply for PIP because he knows that many claimants who apply on grounds of mental ill health are being turned down, and there have been some small improvements in his condition. However, by not doing so his low income will be significantly reduced. he gets low rate mob and middle rate care, and so I believe the Severe Disability Premium of ESA which I guess he will lose?

i wondered if anybody could advise me:
If he tells them he does not wish to claim PIP is his DLA award likely to last until November as originally awarded?
If he does nothing is his DLA award likely to last until November as originally awarded?

Advice much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #161001 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Your DLA is ending letter
Vocationmatters

I am afraid not.

If they do not claim PIP by the date on the letter, then their DLA payments will be suspended and they will receive another letter informing them of this. If they do not claim PIP within a further four weeks, the second letter will confirm the date, then their DLA claim will be closed, so they will not receive any further DLA payments (DLA is normally paid four weekly in arrears), after the end of July unless they make a claim.

If they do make a claim then any suspended payments will be released.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.