× Members

Can ESA still be backdated.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161494 by ali
Can ESA still be backdated. was created by ali
I recently found out that I have been placed in the support group for ESA, I am very relieved about this however both times I have phoned the benefit office they have been very vague with me. Do you have any advice where I go from here? Can they still backdate a claim? How do I find out how long I am entitled to ESA. The only paperwork I have received states how much is going into my bank but with no other details. Surely they have to give me more details?

Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161498 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Can ESA still be backdated.
Hi Ali and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work #

ESA is an indefinite award that has no actual end-date. However, a reassessment date will have been entered on your computer record and you can find it out easily by phoning DWP and asking for the 'prognosis'.

As far as backdating is concerned, I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

An ESA claim can be backdated by up to 3 months if the claimant can show that s/he was not working and suffering from their problems at that time. This would be done very early in the claim.

In a new claim, once a decision has been made any extra money will be backdated to the first day of the 14th week of the claim. This will be done automatically by DWP.

If I have not answered your question, or you have further questions/comments about your ESA, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

If

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161515 by ali
Replied by ali on topic Can ESA still be backdated.
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. In the past I have always has backdated payments but this time there is no mention. I suffer from anxiety and find phone calls very stressful so I guess I was looking for a way to find these answers without having to go through that. I have no information on when my claim was put in and tbh I was to ill to remember. I'm feeling at the moment that I should just be greatful for the decision as it stands.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161518 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can ESA still be backdated.

ali wrote: Thanks very much for the prompt reply. In the past I have always has backdated payments but this time there is no mention. I suffer from anxiety and find phone calls very stressful so I guess I was looking for a way to find these answers without having to go through that. I have no information on when my claim was put in and tbh I was to ill to remember. I'm feeling at the moment that I should just be greatful for the decision as it stands.

The key point, as Mrs H says, is whether this was a new claim for ESA or not, if it was then it will be backdated to the beginning of week 14 of your claim, it was a reassessment then I would not expect there to be any backdating.

Gorodn

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.