× Members

ESA - Mandatory Reconsideration Notice

More
7 years 10 months ago #161500 by boomboom82
ESA - Mandatory Reconsideration Notice was created by boomboom82
Hi Guys

Hope that you are well.

I am writing in respect of my mother who has until very recently been in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance.

My mother has been on Disability Living Allowance and also ESA for a number of years. In 2014, we had to complete the forms again for ESA and were asked to attend an ATOS medical examination. We attended the examination and a decision was then made by the DWP that my mother did not have any limited capacity to work (which was ridiculous!!) and that she would no longer receive ESA.

We appealed this decision and based on the information, a Tribunal decided that my mother did have limited capacity to work and was put in the work related activity group. We attended the first interview with the personal advisor at the Job Centre and he took one look at my mum and her medical history which he was not aware of and said that my mother should be in the support group. He advised us to get the decision reconsidered. We were too late to do this and were told that we needed to complete a new application and that my mother could not be downgraded from the work related activity group.

We did this in 2015 and attended a new ATOS medical examination and again they said she was not bad enough to be in the support group. We then appealed this to the Tribunal as advised. The appeal went in the Spring of 2015 and I attended the actual Tribunal a month or so ago – it took over a year for it to get to the Tribunal as information was requested from the DWP which they always seem to take time to provide or respond to. The Tribunal found that the law was applied correctly in respect of the decision to keep my mum in the work related activity group. This related to the forms completed in 2015.

In the meantime, we were told that we needed to complete the same forms again as there was a 12 month review period and this had to be done every 12 months. I completed the forms and then we were given an appointment for a medical examination. On the morning of the examination, my mum was in no fit state to attend, so I called them asked for it to be rearranged. We received a new appointment for a month or so later and again on the morning, my mum was not feeling well and was in no fit state to attend. I informed them early in the morning again.

I was then told that this would impact my mother’s benefit as she had missed 2 appointments. We then received a letter to say that my mother was no longer entitled to ESA as a result. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration and stated that they needed to take into account people’s health and that they might not be fit enough to attend medical examinations. I also stated it was crazy that benefit could be stopped if 2 appointments were missed.

We have received correspondence now to say the original decision stands and my mother is not entitled to ESA given that there was no valid reason given for my mother not attending the appointments.

We can now appeal this decision and I wanted to get more expert and learned people’s view on this if possible. Has anyone seen this before? What evidence could I give that would help in this?

This is becoming stressful for my mum who suffers from depression and anxiety and I am not beginning to become frustrated with this.

Any guidance will be most gratefully received and much appreciated.

Kind regards

Kal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161509 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Mandatory Reconsideration Notice
boomboom

This will likely be an administrative appeal, they are usually held quite quickly and are hosted by just a Judge. The appeal will only be concerned with your mother's reasons for failing to attend, not whether she should be in the WRAG or the SG.

This is all about showing Good Cause for her failing to attend, it will help if her GP was involved in either, but in particular the second appointment. She will need to explain why she did not attend and why it would have been unreasonable to have expected her to do so.

You don't suggest that she would have been unable to attend at Maximus's offices if well on the day, so you may struggle to use the evidence from her actual ESA claim to support her case, so it will likely be dependant on what symptoms she had on the day.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161514 by boomboom82
Replied by boomboom82 on topic ESA - Mandatory Reconsideration Notice
Hi Gordon

Thank you for the very swift reply.

The ESA claim for my mother covers the fact that she has various ailments including arthritis and severe joint pains which can lead to her being bedridden for periods of time including a day or few days - this has been the case for a few years and has been included in previous applications.

Could I not still mention this at all?

The first appointment was set for 7 April 2016 and my mother actually visited her GP as she was not feeling well the day before on 6 April 2016. My mother received a Statement of Fitness to work for a period of 12 weeks on this date - due to her symptoms she was experiencing - the statement said she was not fit to work.

The second appointment was for 3 May 2016 and my mother did not see her GP this time as it was something that had happened frequently.

Could I mention this in the appeal?

Thanks

Boom

More
7 years 10 months ago #161517 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Mandatory Reconsideration Notice
boomboom

You should certainly mention her underlying conditions, I just don't think that they will be sufficient on their own to win the appeal, although you mention restrictions she was seeing as being capable of attending at Maximus's offices.

The Fit Note is required for her to claim ESA in the first place so I don't believe it will be seen as relevant to the two days in question. Her attending at her GP on the day before the first appointment but you need to GP to comment on this, you don't want it to be seen as her needing to do so just to get a new Fit Note.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.