× Members

ESA Recording

More
7 years 10 months ago #161537 by pat
ESA Recording was created by pat
Hi
Can I request that my ESA assessment be recorded I have just received my appointment and its in just over two weeks time. If so who do I send it to.
Thanks.
Pat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161541 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic ESA Recording
Hello Pat

yes, you can request that your assessment is recorded; There will be an address on the letter with your appointment; perhaps you would be as well to phone and then follow your request up with a letter to confirm your request.

Not every centre will have recording devices and you may need to take your own (someone will let you know about this). If you do need to provide your own equipment, remember you will have to have two recording devices, because the assessor will need a copy of the assessment to take away with him/her.

You are not allowed to record on your mobile phone or tablet etc., it has to be a dedicated recording device. You might find that other members of the forum can suggest suitable devices which are not too costly?

Good luck with the assessment :)

More
7 years 10 months ago #161576 by mpckelly
Replied by mpckelly on topic ESA Recording
Hi Pat,

I had a bad experience as regards having my WCA recorded, so I'll tell you about it here in the hope that it might forewarn you.

I requested my WCA to be recorded both by phone and in writing (definitely do so in writing). Also, when I rang the Health & Disability Assessment Service (who send the appointment letters out) to request this, the person I spoke to helpfully gave me the number of the Recording Team, who actually receive recording requests from HDAS and arrange for equipment to be sorted for the venue. You might want to ask for contact details for the Recording Team relevant to you, and ring them to check the request for recording has been received.

If the date of your assessment changes (as mine did), check again that the recording equipment is ready for the new date. It might be an idea also to write to ask that you be informed if recording would be a problem.

I was assured all along the way that recording would happen, right up to when I asked the man on reception at the assessment centre as I waited for my appointment. Then I got into the assessment room and the examination began; because I was stressed I forgot to check again that it was being recorded. As it happened, despite all the assurances I received, it did not. (And sure enough, the written report of the event is a travesty, put together with the evident intention to ensure I would not be entitled for benefit).

So, make sure you check that recording is happening once you get into the assessment room, as well as in the time leading up to your appointment. You might want to get advice on what to do if you get into the examination room and they say "er, no, it's not being recorded" - I'm not sure what rights you'd have in that case.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161578 by pat
Replied by pat on topic ESA Recording
Hi
Is there a template that I could use.
Regards
P

More
7 years 10 months ago #161590 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Recording

pat wrote: Hi
Is there a template that I could use.
Regards
P

Yes, there is one in the ESA guide.

If you were to get to the venue and discover that there is no recording equipment available, you should be aware that this will not considered 'good cause' for refusing to go ahead with the assessment.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161789 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic ESA Recording
From my experience of face-to-face assessments, they always have it on record that I requested a recorded assessment, but they never have the equipment set up and ready.

Ideally you should confirm with the receptionist when you arrive that the assessment will be audio recorded - this will give them time to set up the equipment.

The DWP strongly argue that claimants have no legal right to recorded assessments and they are purely subject to availability. It is arguable whether this is correct, given Grayling made a promise as Minister of Employment that claimants can have a recorded medical if they choose, but I would not advise anybody to refuse to submit to an assessment.

As the template letter suggests, in these circumstances you can raise the issue on appeal and ask the tribunal to make a finding as to whether the failure to record the assessment should be taken into account when assessing the reliability of the report.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.