× Members

PIP/ESA claims

More
7 years 10 months ago #161721 by Flossiefloo
PIP/ESA claims was created by Flossiefloo
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I am new to the site and the benefits system and am so confused.

Firstly, I have applied for both PIP and ESA, (back in January) I had my PIP assessment and
was given a few points but not enough to be given a financial award. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration and have now today been told I can have the lowest level of the care component. I would like to appeal this with the tribunal as I believe I am still being short changed, but a friend, who has been navigating the system for many years, has advised me not to as they can take away the small award I have been given. I really don't know what to do so any advise would be helpful please.

My second question is perhaps a little simpler, I am wondering that now I have been awarded PIP, are my chances better at being awarded ESA? I have my ESA assessment in 2 weeks (7 months after applying) and I am not sure I have the strength to keep fighting the system if I am declined for ESA.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161722 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP/ESA claims
Hi Flossiefloo and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You are not alone, I think most of us find the benefits system difficult to negotiate!

Your friend is right in saying that going to appeal does run a risk of you losing the award you have. However, if you have an oral hearing (where you attend in person) rather than a paper appeal, the appeal panel have to warn you if they think this will happen in your case. That allows you to withdraw the appeal and stick with what you have.

Our PIP guide explains the criteria against which you are being assessed and also talks you through the appeal process.

PIP help for claimants

The criteria for ESA and PIP are very different (even where they appear to overlap). After all, it is perfectly possible to be in receipt of enhanced PIP but work full time!

If you were awarded the mobility component of PIP, you should be aware that the ESA descriptor deals with /mobilisation' rather than 'walking' and the assessor/decision maker can decide that they believe you would be able to self-propel a wheelchair and hence score no points. This is the case even if you do not have a wheelchair and/or have never been advised to get one!

Have you requested that your ESA assessment is recorded? You might still be able to get this done if you phone and request it.

Our ESA guide explains what to expect at the face2face apointment

ESA claims and appeals

We prefer it if only one benefit is discussed in each topic (don't worry, we don't expect you to know this when you first post! :) ) so I suggest you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments regarding one of your claims. Then you can start a new one if you need to discuss the second claim and we will be clear as to which benefit we are discussing!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161795 by Flossiefloo
Replied by Flossiefloo on topic PIP/ESA claims
Thank you for your response. I will do that x
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.