× Members

PIP Face to Face Experience

More
7 years 10 months ago #161829 by chopper
PIP Face to Face Experience was created by chopper
:unsure:
I thought if its ok, I would share my experience of my Face to Face Appointment re changing from DLA to PIP.
First of all, thank you so much to this site for helping me filling in forms etc.
I had a letter to say the assessor would be coming to our home, which I was happy about, but had not requested.
A young man arrived from Capita and told me he was a nurse. I felt the assessment seemed fair, and he certainly put me at ease, and said he was very happy, and had everything he needed.
I have been on the full rate of dla, both components at the high rate for the last 10 years.
About 10 minutes after he left (it took about 3/4 of an hour) I realised that I hadn't asked him to read his report back to me. My mistake......
I received my letter stating that I have standard rate of care and high rate of mobility, which I suppose was better than I expected, but then I read the reasons why I had only received the standard rate of care.... Apparently I am able to prepare a light meal! My answer on my form was that because I can't stand unaided (I always need to use my walking stick in the house), it is impossible for me to prepare any sort of meal as I can't do things one handed. This didn't seem to count. He "observed me" opening my little pill box unaided while sitting down, and also held a cup of coffee "with a small handle" without a problem....while sitting down. The fact that my hubby has to sort the pills out for me in the morning and make my drinks didn't seem to count either. I also stated on the form that I have to use adapted cutlery while eating as the arthritis in my hands gets quite bad on occasions.
I'm so cross with myself that I didn't ask him to read the report back to me.
I'm afraid I'm being one of the sad majority that are now too scared to ask for a MR in case they take the whole lot away from me.
Any advice would be really appreciated. I have worked my whole life up until 10 years ago when I had to give up due to my medical problems, and have always paid my taxes etc. It all just seems so unfair that as I am coming up to retirement this has happened.
Any advice please? Do you think I should risk asking for a MR? or just be thankful that I have at least received something which is more than some poor people who didn't have B&W to help them with their forms.
:unsure:

Chopper :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161833 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Face to Face Experience
Hi Chopper,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your face2face assessment. I'm sorry your PIP decision was not what you hoped :(

Of course, only you can decide whether to take this any further.

As a first step, I suggest you go back to our PIP self-assessment to see whether you realistically have a good chance of scoring the extra points needed for an enhanced care award.

The MR process is explained in our PIP guide, maybe that will help you decide what to do.

Please return to this thread if you have further questions/comments about your PIP claim and we will do our best to help :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper

More
7 years 9 months ago #163425 by chopper
Replied by chopper on topic PIP Face to Face Experience
Thank you for your reply Mrs Hurty back,
I'm sorry I'm late in saying thank you, I haven't been at all well.

I decided to ask the dwp for a copy of my assessment form, and after trying time after time after time and not being able to get through on the phone, I decided to send them a letter requesting a copy of the form. I sent it by signed for delivery about 3 weeks ago and stating that I was worried that it would be too late for me to put in for a MR and if they could send me a copy as soon as possible so that I could decide whether to apply for the MR or not.
As I haven't been well, I completely forgot about it, and my daughter reminded me today that I still haven't heard back from them. No copy of my report.
My final date to put in for an MR was 11th July, so it looks like I've missed out.
Do you think I should keep trying to get through to them on the phone. The number of phone calls I have made have cost well over £20 so far, as I believe once you actually connect with them, you're being charged. The last time I phoned them I was on hold for over 20 minutes, and ended up putting the phone down as I was so worried about the cost.
Its so unfair. I know where they have scored me wrong. They said I could prepare a meal, when I explained clearly in the application form that as I can't stand unaided I can't prepare or cook a meal.
I just keep punishing myself for not asking for a copy of the report when the assessment was done. Sorry to ramble on, but all this worry just seems to be never ending. When on DLA I had both components at the higher rate, and now I've been dropped down to standard rate for care, even though my condition is not improving at all and getting worse. :(

Chopper :-)

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #163443 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Face to Face Experience
Hi Chopper,

I'm sorry that you have been so unwell :( Please don't worry about not replying sooner, your health is the only thing that matters.

You can actually submit an MR request up to 13 months after the decision. However, the DWP do not have to accept it unless you have shown 'good cause' for the delay. It might be that they will accept the lack of the assessor's report as such.

If you want to pursue the MR, I think you should submit the request now, in writing, and explain that it is late because you are still awaiting the report.

Also send a separate letter pointing out that you are still awaiting the assessor's report and will complain to you MP if you do not hear in a reasonable timescale - or you can involve your MP straight away and tell DWP that you have done so.

Contacting your MP

I must warn you that the MRs seldom do anything other than overturn the original decision (although it does happen sometimes) but you cannot progress to appeal without it.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.