× Members

Keeping a diary?

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #161837 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Keeping a diary? was created by rayisfun@hotmail.com
I have OCD, depression and anxiety. I am waiting for an ES50 form and an assessment for ESA. My benefit adviser suggested I keep a diary of how my illness affects me. I'm not sure if I can do this because the last thing I want to do when my symptoms are severe which is most days is write about it. I have to force myself to deal with this as it's makes me panicky and I often feel there's no point. Is a diary a record for the assessor or for my own help? My illness doesn't vary greatly and follows the same pattern. I rarely go out and the few friends I have rarely visit so most of the days are the same.

The adviser asked me hypothetical questions about things I wouldn't normally do like go to three appointments in a row or travel to somewhere unknown. If I avoid these things due to my anxiety then how can I write about them in a diary?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161853 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Keeping a diary?

Spectralis wrote: I have OCD, depression and anxiety. I am waiting for an ES50 form and an assessment for ESA. My benefit adviser suggested I keep a diary of how my illness affects me. I'm not sure if I can do this because the last thing I want to do when my symptoms are severe which is most days is write about it. I have to force myself to deal with this as it's makes me panicky and I often feel there's no point. Is a diary a record for the assessor or for my own help? My illness doesn't vary greatly and follows the same pattern. I rarely go out and the few friends I have rarely visit so most of the days are the same.

The adviser asked me hypothetical questions about things I wouldn't normally do like go to three appointments in a row or travel to somewhere unknown. If I avoid these things due to my anxiety then how can I write about them in a diary?

It's entirely up to you, it sounds as if there is some fluctuation in your condition and a diary can help to explain how it changes over time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161895 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Keeping a diary?
Hi Spectralis,

I understand it can be difficult writing about your problems on a daily basis but a diary, however brief, can be extremely helpful to anybody assessing your capability. It's generally more accurate than simply recalling off the top of your head the last few weeks/months.

Good luck,

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.