× Members

Long Term DLA to PIP

More
7 years 9 months ago #161953 by Sally
Long Term DLA to PIP was created by Sally
Hi,

First, congratulation on a really helpful site.

After receiving the equivalent of DLA for over 50 years, I have now received a request to apply for PIP.

I have a condition that includes a host of other conditions. I noted somewhere on the web that someone had documented their conditions fully, with explanations as to what affect these conditions have on her life, and then when answering the questions from each sections of the questionnaire, referred the assessor to the relevant condition and affects on her list.

I wanted to ask if this would be a good way of filling in the questionnaire, rather than writing reams on each section, or is there a chance that an assessor could overlook some important information.

Any advice would be helpful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #161964 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Long Term DLA to PIP
Hi Sally and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I don't think claimants should make things any harder than they need to be for the assessor. Or for the DWP Decision Maker, who will have no medical knowledge.

Of course, in an ideal world things would be made as easy as possible for the claimant - After all, it is they who have long-term sickness or disability that makes things more difficult! However, this world is far from perfect, especially when it comes to claiming benefits :(

I think doing what you suggest runs the risk of the assessor overlooking important details, unless you clearly mark each paragraph and point the assessor directly to it.

What we often suggest is to type the answer to each question as a word document and then write on the form 'please see additional page 3' etc. This does necessitate a lot of repetition as many answers are similar.

When push comes to shove, this is your claim and you need to be happy with how it has been dealt with. I suggest you have a read of our PIP guide and then use whatever approach you think is best.

PIP help for claimants

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. This will allow you to return with further questions/comments about your PIP claim without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sally

More
7 years 9 months ago #162000 by Sally
Replied by Sally on topic Long Term DLA to PIP
Thank you for your reply Mrs Hurtyback.

I agree it runs the risk of important information being missed by asking the assessor the refer back to a statement. With this in mind, I will answer each point indiviually, even though it mean repeating certain things.

I will report back on the outcome

Sally
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 8 months ago #166104 by Sally
Having had my assessment during the past two weeks, there are a couple of things I would like clarification on if possible.

I was told by the Assessor that it was highly unlikely that I would be granted PIP, as it was only for people under the age of 65. I replied that, as I understood it, that only applied to new claims and not changing from DVLA to PIP. Could you advise if this is correct?

Also, I was told that because I needed assistant with getting in and out of the bath then a walk in shower/wet room would be more suited. I explained that I needed a bath as lying in warm water helps with my pain relief. I was advised that the DWP are not interested in such things, only what would help with regards to assistance. Is this correct?

Once I have my decision I will report back fully, however, I have to say that I didn’t have much confidence in the Assessor as she claimed that I hadn’t mentioned two operations I had undergone on my form, which I had, and it was also stated in my Consultants letter. Clearly, she hadn’t read the file properly.

Your views would be much appreciated.

Sally

More
7 years 8 months ago #166108 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Long Term DLA to PIP
Sally

It seems that some assessors do their level best to make the claimant feel uncomfortable :( :angry:

The assessment criteria for PIP pay no attention to the age of the claimant there is no reason why someone over the age of 65 should not receive PIP if they meet the criteria. You are correct that there is an age limit of 65 for new PIP claims but not transfers.

The legal test is

Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower.

so it is not why you need to use a bath in preference to a shower that is considered, just your ability to use one, if you need assistance to get into a bath then you should meet the requirement, even if you can get into a shower without problem.

PIP Decisions are still taking around 8 weeks to be produced so I'm afraid you will probably have to wait a while.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #166112 by Sally
Thanks for that Gordon.

As I said, I will report back once I have my decision.
I found the affair quite bizarre at times , but more of that when I return.

Thank you again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.