× Members

'how far can you walk without stopping' query

More
7 years 9 months ago #162380 by LPollyP
I am struggling what to put on the Esa50 form with 'can you walk 50 metres without having to stop?'
I have Marfan syndrome, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, depression and anxiety.
Stopping when walking does not take away any of the pain I am in with every step.
If I stop it may ease the pain slightly for those few seconds but as soon as I take the next step it is back with a vengeance. In theory if I have to walk anywhere it is better for my health problems that I get there as soon as I can so I can recover.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I only have a week left to fill in the form; my GP recently found a lump in my bowel and I have been undergoing hospital tests which has been painful and worrying so I have put the form to one side till now which I know is silly but I struggle coping with more than one week at a time.
Thank you for reading this and for this great website

xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #162406 by shelam
Hello Polly

There doesn't seem to be much doubt about how far you can walk without having to stop, from what you have said on here. 50 metres is a long way when you are in pain, and it sounds as though you would be hard pressed to walk 5 metres, never mind 50 without being in quite severe pain.

Just write down on the form exactly what you have written here; it explains very well what your issues are and the amount of pain you are in, and that's what the form is trying to establish.

If you read through this

Are issues like pain, fatigue and safety taken into account for personal independence payment (PIP)?

it should explain what you need to know.

You should probably explain on your form that you are also being investigated for other issues (with your bowel).

It's quite understandable that you put the form to one side!! Difficult to think straight when you're worried and unwell.

Good luck with the form :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #162407 by Gordon

Polly wrote: I am struggling what to put on the Esa50 form with 'can you walk 50 metres without having to stop?'
I have Marfan syndrome, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, depression and anxiety.
Stopping when walking does not take away any of the pain I am in with every step.
If I stop it may ease the pain slightly for those few seconds but as soon as I take the next step it is back with a vengeance. In theory if I have to walk anywhere it is better for my health problems that I get there as soon as I can so I can recover.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I only have a week left to fill in the form; my GP recently found a lump in my bowel and I have been undergoing hospital tests which has been painful and worrying so I have put the form to one side till now which I know is silly but I struggle coping with more than one week at a time.
Thank you for reading this and for this great website

xx

Please be aware that the ESA test is not just a walking test, it also considers your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or even to own one for it to be taken into account.

So in addition to explaining your problems with walking you must also explain how you could not self-propel a wheelchair over the same distances, assuming that this is the case.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #162408 by Derek4
Hi Polly,

I really sympathise with you being in pain with every step. I'm just slightly concerned that the regulations (page 33 of the B&W guide) refer to mobilising without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion. The test may be considered as whether you can do it without stopping due to pain, rather than managing the distance while in pain.

However you have to be able to repeat the activity within a reasonable timescale (whatever that is), so make sure you give details of how long it actually takes you to recover and walk again.

There is more information in the physical health guide.

Good luck,

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.