× Members

C's MS PIP Query Topic

More
7 years 9 months ago #163310 by Orangeblossom
C's MS PIP Query Topic was created by Orangeblossom
I'm trying to help my friend C who has severe progressive MS. She is at present on low rate mobility DLA but has not been assessed for years while the condition has declined.

I am unsure why she is still on DLA as thought would have been changed to PIP by now. Think she should probably be on a much higher rate.

She has a report from her neurologist from several years back saying she can not walk no more than 10m, and now cannot walk at all. She has also been diagnosed with osteoporosis and her memory has declined. She has a more recent psychologists report about the memory and cognitive problems.

She is fiercely independant and doesn't like to accept support, and also has a car from the Motability scheme which she rarely uses as struggles to drive, although it is adapted to be used with a hand control. I'm concerned the assessor may infer all sorts from her having the car/.

What would give her the best chance of a smooth transfer to the high rate of PIP she probably deserves? I have asked for some guides from the MS society on PIP to start with. Is the evidence she has acceptable or anything else be useful; will they use her DLA stuff? She seems to think it;s about things like having the house adapted for someone to stay over but not sure why- was that something for DLA perhaps.

Also, I wonder if there are organisations to help fill in the form at her home as she can no longer fill in forms. Or i suppose the CAB have a drop in but might not be easy for her to access. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163332 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic C's MS PIP Query Topic
Orangeblossom

The DLA to PIP "transfer" is scheduled to take at least another 2 years and maybe more, she could be invited to claim PIP at any time during this period.

Are you sure that they are Lower Rate Mobility, this does not entitle a claimant to a Motability car!

As to when she is transferred;

Having up to date evidence if at all possible, she should speak to her GP to see how practical this is. She can use her DLA claim as evidence, but how relevant is the information to how she is today

Being ready for the transfer, this means understanding the criteria and having answers in regard to her limitations. Read the PIP Claim guide

If she wants someone to do it for her then she will need to ask when the invitation arrives, they'll not do it earlier. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with her postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom

More
7 years 9 months ago #163339 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic C's MS PIP Query Topic
I will try and check about the DLA award, she was a bit unsure today about it. If the letter said she could walk only ten metres years ago would that mean high or low mobility for DLA? She definitely has a car from the Motability scheme.

It looks like she should get daily living as well, she told me she does not get this in DLA at present. With this would come the Disability Premium, as she lives alone, I think?

So, she can't just apply to change to PIP; she needs to wait to be invited? What about if she said how the condition has declined, would that mean a new assessment for DLA? I just want to try and keep things easy for her. Thanks.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163342 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic C's MS PIP Query Topic

Orangeblossom wrote: I will try and check about the DLA award, she was a bit unsure today about it. If the letter said she could walk only ten metres years ago would that mean high or low mobility for DLA? She definitely has a car from the Motability scheme.

It looks like she should get daily living as well, she told me she does not get this in DLA at present. With this would come the Disability Premium, as she lives alone, I think?

So, she can't just apply to change to PIP; she needs to wait to be invited? What about if she said how the condition has declined, would that mean a new assessment for DLA? I just want to try and keep things easy for her. Thanks.

If it was accepted that she could only walk 10m then she would receive the Higher rate of Mobility which then enable her to have a Motability car.

I would be very careful in looking at what she might receive under PIP, it's easy to over estimate the number of point she might receive. PIP has been deliberately engineered to be more difficult to get, the intention is to reduce the disability budget by at least 20%, this means that a lot of claimants will see reduced awards and many no award at all.

She can either report a Change of Circumstances or ask to claim PIP rather than wait to be invited by the DWP, either will result in an invitation as soon as the DWP are notified. But she needs to be aware once an invitation to claim PIP (as a DLA claimant) has been issued there is no way back.

Gordon.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom

More
7 years 9 months ago #163349 by Orangeblossom
Thanks for your careful advice. I can see she should get enhanced mobility as can walk less than 10m. Also there are things she would possibly get for care.

It might be an idea to leave it a little while as she is considering about the car, and sadly for her, the condition will only get worse, but for PIP this may be better for her.

I can simply tell her the mobility should be OK, and she may qualify for care as well, when the time comes. That might be the best way forward.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163357 by Orangeblossom
She is struggling to find some of the letters she has used in the past.

I'm thinking maybe doing a SAR request for the info on her DLA claim. Wonder if this is a good idea, as if the info is quite old might not be useful.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.