× Members

Contribution based versus Income related

More
7 years 9 months ago #163412 by Peppercorn
Contribution based versus Income related was created by Peppercorn
Why do people on contribution based ESA benefits lose out?
I've noticed that all additional support out there i.e. Warm home grants, all state it has to be income related?

We are being penalised for having paid large chunks of our salaries in tax and NI.
I live alone and am not surviving on the basic ESA allowance of £73.10. I've applied for PIP (awaiting mandatory reconsideration), I've applied for mortgage interest support which the waiting time was extended to 39 weeks on April 1st (the day I claimed!)

I'm dreading winter and fuel bills (if I haven't lost my home by then).

Is anyone challenging the DWP on the unfairness of CB and on the extended MIS?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163431 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Contribution based versus Income related
Peppercorn

I'm afraid it is all a matter of perspective, ESA(IR) claimants with a working partner often receive no payment at all!

Have you checked whether you are eligible for an ESA(IR) top up to your ESA(CB).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prudent

More
7 years 9 months ago #163578 by Prudent
Replied by Prudent on topic Contribution based versus Income related
When I phoned in I was asked if I wanted to claim IR or contributions based ESA. I am only eligible for the latter as I have savings, so I am not sure if it is possible to apply for IR straight off if you don't have some savings.

Do you have an insurance policy with the mortgage which covers loss of income?

More
7 years 9 months ago #164256 by ob274
Replied by ob274 on topic Contribution based versus Income related
I am trying to find the regulations that decide whether contribution based or income related is awarded?
My ESA award letter quotes income related amount and also contribution based, the latter having a huge impact on the amount of Housing Benefit I am entitled to claim!
I have looked at the ESA Regs from 2013 and can't see anything about awarding income related? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #164269 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Contribution based versus Income related

ob274 wrote: I am trying to find the regulations that decide whether contribution based or income related is awarded?
My ESA award letter quotes income related amount and also contribution based, the latter having a huge impact on the amount of Housing Benefit I am entitled to claim!
I have looked at the ESA Regs from 2013 and can't see anything about awarding income related? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi andWelcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Contributory benefit is always awarded if the claimant is entitled to it, in favour of income-related. You can get an income-related 'top up' if your household income (you and a partner who lives with you) is low enough and you have savings/assets less than £16000. In addition, any partner who lives with you must work for less than 24 hours.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you think this might apply to you, you should ask DWP for an ESA3 which will capture details of your financial situation. Even 1p of income-related to benefit will automatically entitle you to other things (such as free prescriptions)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.