× Members

ESA Overpayment due to Occupational Pension

More
7 years 9 months ago #164340 by ms2608
In March 2013 I was retired early on grounds of ill health, due to a major depressive disorder, which continues to this day. I was not mentally in a fit state to comprehend that my pension would be viewed differently by DWP to my half-pay (both approx £800 per month). During this time I had been assessed for Sectioning, and was having weekly sessions with the Clinical Psychologist, and review meetings with the Psychiatrist, as you can imagine, my mind was not functioning at it's best. Income Tax was being deducted from my pension, as it had been from my half-salary, so I had no indication that I was doing something wrong.

Back in February I was one of the lucky 0.5% to be visited by somebody from the DWP auditors. This visit picked up that I had been in receipt of my Occupational Pension since March 2013, and had not informed the DWP of this. I have been in receipt of ESA since August 2012, initially whilst on half-pay from my employer, and am in the Support Group.

My ESA payments have since been reduced to the correct amount.

A few months after this visit, I received a letting informing me that I had been overpaid by approximately £6,000, which I had to repay, plus a Penalty of £50. This had an adverse affect on my mental health, and my brother wrote an appeal on my behalf, explaining the circumstances, and also pointing out that the amount requested was incorrect as I had repaid all ESA received up to May 2015, following a damages award from my employer. Hence I had actually only been overpaid from June 2015 to March 2016.

My brother requested that all future correspondence be sent direct to him, as he was concerned for my well being. I countersigned the letter, giving permission for him to act on my behalf.

Today I have received a letter informing me that £18.23 will be deducted weekly from my ESA payments until March 2023. There has been no response to my brother's letter, which was sent by Recorded Delivery, and signed for. The deductions will bring the total repaid to over £6000, which as explained earlier is incorrect. The letter also says that there is no right of appeal, as the sum relates to an overpayment.

Unfortunately, my brother's wife is now terminally ill, so I cannot expect him to follow this up for me. Due to my health, I am unable to cope with telephone calls, and it appears that writing letters to the DWP is a waste of time, as they disappear into the ether.

I was in the care of the Mental Health team until February of this year, and my GP is now going to refer me back to them. I am desperate as to how I can get this matter sorted, any advice would be most gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #164346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Overpayment due to Occupational Pension
Mary

I'm afraid there is little help that we can provide on the forum, you need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

You need someone who can go through all of the paperwork involved in the case, which we simply cannot do on the forum.

Sorry

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ms2608

More
7 years 9 months ago #164352 by ms2608
Replied by ms2608 on topic ESA Overpayment due to Occupational Pension
Hi Gordon

Thank you for the quick response, and the advice as to where I can find help.

Much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.