× Members

PIP Outcome.

More
7 years 10 months ago #164412 by Dades
PIP Outcome. was created by Dades
My husband had the result of his PIP assessment and they have downgraded his mobility component from enhanced to standard, resulting in the loss of his Motability car. They have upgraded his care to the standard rate from the low rate.
He has been awarded 10 points for mobility and no points for planning journeys. In order for him to get to the assessment venue I had to go to find it and establish where nearest parking is and how much walking was involved. He has had many hospital appointments since last year and each time it is a different hospital or Department I have to go and suss it out. The assessor asked if we had managed to find the place OK and I advised I had to come and pre plan. She asked who drove and husband said he had and I added with me saying left, right etc. When walking to the interview room he used his walking stick and took my arm. He then had to take a seat before getting onto the lift and assessment says he can walk 30 metres. Is that supposed to be without help from another person?
On the basis of this I would welcome any advice regarding whether we should ask for a mandatory review or not. We are pleased with care element but would have preferred to keep the mobility as it had been!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #164424 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Outcome.
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I'm sorry that your husband's PIP reassessment has seen his award downgraded :(

The planning a journey mobility descriptor relates only to people who have mental health, cognitive or sensory problems, points will not be scored otherwise (forgive me if this is the situation for your husband, you have not mentioned it).

Our PIP guide explains the criteria against which your husband has been measured and also how best to word things in terms that the Decision Maker will understand.

PIP help for claimants

Do you have a copy of the assessor's report (PIP4)yet? If not, it is worth phoning DWP and requesting it as it will help you understand why your husband did not score points as expected. However, don't let this take you beyond 1 month in submitting the MR request!

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your husband's PIP without starting a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one topic - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #164454 by Dades
Replied by Dades on topic PIP Outcome.
Thank you Mrs Hurtyback for your advice, which I will follow. As my husband does not have any of the conditions mentioned regarding "planning journeys" looks like that's a lost cause!
Any advice regarding needing physical support from another person to walk would be appreciated.
We will ask to see the medical report and take it from there. Thanks again.

More
7 years 10 months ago #164487 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Outcome.

Eileen Livingstone wrote: Thank you Mrs Hurtyback for your advice, which I will follow. As my husband does not have any of the conditions mentioned regarding "planning journeys" looks like that's a lost cause!
Any advice regarding needing physical support from another person to walk would be appreciated.
We will ask to see the medical report and take it from there. Thanks again.

You are going to have to show that he cannot reliably stand and walk more than 20m on the majority of days.

I'm afraid the relevant descriptor (e) uses the phrase "either aided or unaided" which means that his use of a walking stick or you for support is already included, so it will be just a test of the distance he can walk. Also, he is not required to walk pain free but any discomfort or pain that limits the distance should be taken into account.

Reliably means;

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

The guide explains the above in more detail.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #164566 by Dades
Replied by Dades on topic PIP Outcome.
Thank you again. I suppose we have to decide whether to ask for a MR or not. The fear of losing what we have been awarded makes it so difficult to know what to do but we will need to decide.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.