× Members

unsuitable medical assessment centre

More
7 years 8 months ago #165142 by lizzie_wa
unsuitable medical assessment centre was created by lizzie_wa
I am an indefinate award (Enhanced rate for mobility and care) transfer from DLA to PIP. I recently completed my PIP application on which I clearly stated that if I needed a medical it would need to be local as I could not travel. I do not go out alone so would need my husband to take me and accompany me, he is disabled himself and he cannot take me in mornings but can do in afternoons. Additionally I requested a Wednesday or Thursday appointment as these are the only days his committments allows him to take me. I also know that assessments are carried out locally on a Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. I am unable to manage stairs and have a phobia about lifts so I would require a ground floor assessment.. I have received an appointment today providing a local appointment on a Monday (when my husband cannot accompany me) and at 9 am (a time he cannot accompany me), so I would be unable to attend on that basis. . Having contacted the centre where the assessments are held I am told The assessment is on the third floor of the building with lift access. The assessment room is at the end of a corridor (25 metres) which I cannot walk, (arthritis in my hands prevents me mobilising myself with a wheelchair) I am told there are no ground floor assessment facilities.. Disabled car parking is available (50 metres from the centre). I would hope when I ring them that they would change the time and date, however is it also reasonable for me to ask them for a ground floor assessment (which I dont think they can provide at this centre) With the effects of the walking and the anxiety over lifts I do not think I will be in a fit state to provide them with accurate information during the interview. I enclosed lots of supporting evidence from health care professionals with my application which clearly illustrates to them my problem with mobility. I do not think they have even read my application form - could I complain about this?.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165156 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic unsuitable medical assessment centre
lizzie_wa

You can only rearrange the appointment once, so make sure that you have all of your own "ducks" lined up before you contact the Assessment Provider.

From what you have said you may have to change venue, this may require you to travel further to a suitable office. I would play the Health and Safety card that you cannot use the stairs or the lift in an emergency. You'll need to phone them and make the new appointment then and there, if no suitable appointment is available then you risk them booking another inappropriate date.

You can certainly complain, but I would not set your expectations too high, both ATOS and Capita do this all of the time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lizzie_wa , Zorro

More
7 years 8 months ago #166029 by lizzie_wa
Replied by lizzie_wa on topic unsuitable medical assessment centre
An update. After three phone calls Atos have now agreed the assessment centre is unsuitable for me and are providing a home assessment. The assessment centre being unsuitable on the grounds stairs are involved or a lift I am prone to panic attacks in lifts and cant manage stairs. There is also no other assessment centre suitable for me without involving around 2 hours+ of travel.

If possible I would urge anyone with mobility issues who is attending an assessment centre to either telephone them in advance to check out faciliies or try and take a look at the car parking facilities or drop off points, dont just go by what is on the appointment letter. On my initial appointment letter it stated disabled car parking is available beside the building. In reality there was two disabled car parking spaces and the centre told me they were used by disabled staff. The car park was also at a lower level to the building involving visitors to walk up steps or use a ramp - the ramp being situated furthest away from the building, meaning wheelchair users would need to be pushed or mobilise themselves along a 50 -60 metre path to reach the centre.. There was no direct drop off points to the building - it faces an inner courtyard with no immediate road access.

During my first call to access they agreed to change the time of my appointment to a more suitable time which actually delayed the assessment by two weeks (which I was happy with) However they would not give a home assessment as I go out to visit my GP. (even though my GP sees me on a ground floor consulting room). In a further phone call a few days later when I asked them what would happen if I could not use the lift, they were equally as unhelpful and more or less said, dont worry that would be their problem!

Finally yesterday when I rang back to again and said I wasnt wanting to change the date but could they see me in a ground floor room they listened. I explained I was worried I wouldnt be able to give accurate information because of fatigue due to the walking involved to the assessment room ( Staff at the centre told me the consulting room is at the end of a corridor which involves further walking after getting out of the lift) and the fact I may well have a panic attack in the lift.They kept me on hold a good while when I am sure they telephoned the assessment centre. When they came back to me they agreed the assessment centre was unsuitable for me, no ground floor rooms were available, there was no other suitable venues locally for me and therefore they would grant me a home assessment for which I am relieved. I am now waiting for the home assessment date to be sent to me. I expressed concern that having been told the appointment could only be changed once, and this would be the second change and they said not to worry, the second change was their fault as they couldnt find a suitable assessment centre. ! .

More
7 years 8 months ago #166043 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic unsuitable medical assessment centre
lizzie_wa

Well done for standing your ground.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lizzie_wa

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.