× Members

Can a person be an aid?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165266 by steveinleo59
Can a person be an aid? was created by steveinleo59
Can a person be an aid on PIP mobility.

My wife suffers with agoraphobia and stress & anxiety. She always has to have either me or another family member with her to guide her safely. It is very much in the same way as an assistance dog guides a blind or deaf person.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165270 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Can a person be an aid?
Hello Steveinleo59

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here; if you aren't sure that your wife will qualify for the mobility part of the award then all you can do is state that she is unable to go anywhere on her own, because she is a danger to herself (and maybe others?) and provide backup supportive evidence to this effect. This is more of a mental health issue than a physical one, isn't it.

If you mean she needs someone (or something) to support her as she walks (a crutch, or a physical elbow to lean on because she is unsteady on her feet) then the same applies but it is more of a physical issue. It all comes down to the exact amount of assistance she needs and whether she is in any danger to herself if she can't have that assistance.

Other members might be able to give you more in depth advice, especially if they have the same sort of issues themselves. If you read through the guides you should be able to identify where your wife would score points and fill in your application form accordingly. You can ask other family members to write a brief note to explain how they have to help her if you're not available, also. Good luck with the form :)

More
7 years 8 months ago #165276 by alison
Replied by alison on topic Can a person be an aid?
hi there,
seen your post and thought i may be able to help you here as i myself have the same issues as your wife ime agrophobic , and suffer mental health too,. i put in claim for pip and wasnt succefull i as awawrded only 4 point for the following a journey ,this seems to be the most people seem to get for this activity as it covers mental health more than the physical side,.. hat you need to do in your claim for for this answer which i wasnt aare of at the time of me filling in mine is,,. ,,if your wife is unable to go anywhere without you or a family memeber to follow journys and plan ,, you have to show them excactly why she cant ,if she would be at risk to herslef or others during a journey,, if she experiances extreme overwhelmng psycological distress explain what happens ,, ,give example of a event that happened if you can ,basicaly show them that your wife needs supervising throughout the journey rather than support ,so basicaly you can class yourself as a aid as without you she would be unable to follow or plan a journey on her own ,, always emphasise the extreme psycological distress this causes her ,remember to use words reliably ,safely and in a timely manner ,, when filling in your claim form in all descriptors ,, hope this helps you a bit ,ime now going to appeal as until i joined this wonderfull site i had no idea how to fill in my claim form ,,so hope you manage to suceed and get your wife the benefit she entitled too,. good luck,.
alison,

More
7 years 8 months ago #165282 by steveinleo59
Replied by steveinleo59 on topic Can a person be an aid?
Sorry the descriptor was short.

My wife basically has to have at least one family member to accompany her even to go shopping. As her husband, I usually go with her, but if we have to travel to our nearest city it takes me and our daughter (aged 26) to enable her to go out.

At the home visit assessment, the assessor who was allegedly a psychiatric nurse, decided that as my wife could walk albeit slowly for 30 metres to the car, she is fully functional out in the urban jungle. This was also despite her having a mental meltdown the week before the PIP assessment as she has depression, stress & anxiety disorder as her primary diagnosis from her doctors and mental health nurse team.

So what we are asking is:- Should either myself or our daughter be declared as a helping / coping method in the same way as a sight impaired person has an assistance dog?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165327 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can a person be an aid?
steveinleo

A person is not an aid but the can provide assistance to a person in completing the PIP activities.

I think you are approaching the issue from the wrong direction, rather than explaining what she can manage when someone is with her, you should be documenting what she cannot reliably on the majority of days do when she is not accompanied and why.

The Going Out activity look at two things, issues that would prevent the claimant navigating the route and distress that might even prevent them leaving the house.

To meet the latter you need to show your wife suffers "overwhelming psychological distress".

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jul

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.