× Members

Recording a PIP assessment

More
7 years 8 months ago #165709 by Paul
Recording a PIP assessment was created by Paul
I would appreciate a bit of help. Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere - I struggled to find a related post.

I'm appointee for my mum who is in her early 60s and has been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. I think she will shortly be diagnosed with young onset vascular dementia as her condition is progressive. The problem is that she doesn't have full insight to her difficulties and doesn't actually want to claim any benefits. She gets a small work pension, but this doesn't even cover the cost of her supported accommodation and she doesn't understand why she needs additional income. She was assessed for pip last year and scored 0 on the assessment, my wife accompanied mum and she said the report didn't reflect what happened in the assessment. Ironically, a few months before this, after 34 years working for the DWP, she was dismissed after 7 weeks off sick due to medical incapability - you can imagine my delight at the DWP then assessing her as fully capable. At least i know they treat staff with the same contempt as they treat claimants.

I now have LPA so have been able to submit another, more detailed, claim for both pip and esa with copies of reports from occ therapists, social worker, her supported accommodation provider and psychiatrist. We have an assessment in a couple of weeks. Assuming mum is willing to come to the assessment, I would like to record it. I called Atos, who have told me very clearly that for pip they do not provide the recording equipment and whatever I provide will have to be the archaic dual recorder which no longer seems to exist! So, what I'd like to ask is...

1. Any ideas on where I can get hold of this?
2. It's likely mum will minimise her problems in the interview. Any thoughts on how I might appeal if the decision is based on her own account rather than the medical evidence I have provided?

I really would appreciate any advice you can give, obviously watching mums decline is bad enough without worrying over how she pays for her care.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165715 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Recording a PIP assessment
Paul

You can record the assessment of a couple cassette or CD recorders you don't have to provide the dual recording facility that ATOS may have suggested. The only restrictions are that both recordings must be made at the same time and you cannot use a digital device. You do need to get written permission in advance from ATOS.

Would her GP be willing to write a letter confirming that she does not have a full appreciation of how her conditions affect her, this may allow you to speak on her behalf at the assessment?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

More
7 years 8 months ago #165725 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Recording a PIP assessment
That's great - thanks Gordon. Reckon I can get hold of those. Will try the GP - hadn't thought of that one.
Thanks
P

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.