× Members

Benefits Advice Please?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165814 by Cassie
Benefits Advice Please? was created by Cassie
Hi,

I have beeen found able to work and my esa was stopped on 4th August.

I got 12 points at the assessment and the citizens advice seem to think I could have the decision reversed by mandatory reconsideration, but I don't know what to do about money until (if) that happens.

I get my last payment of esa on Monday 15th (£29).

CAB said to apply for universal credit but it says I'm not eligible on the website, and for jobseekers it says you can't claim if you have had an esa payment in the last month.

I'm in scotland, I live on my own and I have no other income.

The man on the Turn2us phoneline was friendly enough, but not really any help.

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do in this situation?

I'm panicking..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165829 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits Advice Please?
Cassie

Despite what you have read you should be able to make a claim for JSA (or UC depending on your area), immediately, I know of no restriction that prevents a claim within 4 weeks of an ESA payment, in fact ESA claimants who are found Fit for Work usually have an appointment at there local JC+ arranged for a couple of days later.

If you intend to challenge the Decision then once you have made a claim for JSA and it has been accepted then you can present a new Fit Note and be excused from any Job Search requirement for up to 13 weeks.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our ESA MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the ESA area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85), if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #165975 by Cassie
Replied by Cassie on topic Benefits Advice Please?
Hi Again,

I need to ask for some more advice!

I have spoken with a CAB advisor and he only seems to want to concentrate on challenging one descriptor - 'learning to do tasks'.

I was awarded 6 points for 'coping with change', and 6 for 'dealing with other people' in the assessment, but zero for tasks.

I think the advisor was a lawyer so he knew the legal ins and outs of it all but he didn't seem to fully understand the ways in which depression and anxiety can cripple you.
I think he probably wants to just concentrate on one because of time constraints.

Should I just do it myself?
Is it best to go through every single point in the assessment report and not put all the emphasis on one descriptor?

I handed in medical reports with the form and I could probably get more detailed ones now, but I'm not sure what to ask my doctor/ counsellor to put in them.

In the form, I didn't mention my ocd behaviours. They are mentioned in the medical report, but I kind of take the constant hand washing for granted now and didn't think to include this information!
I think I mentioned it in the assessment but it is not in the report.
It does definitely affect my ability to do things but can I mention it now or would that look suspicious?

I don't really know what to do for the best now. I'm not sure I fully trust the CAB advisor to be completely thorough, but the the thought of going through the report myself is pretty daunting.

Apologies for my rambling but I'm really worried about all of this.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165987 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits Advice Please?
Cassie

Finding an advisor is very difficult is very difficult so I don't want B&W to get between you and them as ultimately they can provide you with more support than we can.

That said, it's your claim and only you profit or lose by what happens.

The first thing I would say is to discuss the issue with your advisor.

What are you aiming for, the WRAG or the Support Group?

If the former then you only need to score another three points, would you see your scoring this by increasing one of the 6 points you scored or by scoring on the Learning Tasks activity?

If you are hoping for the SG, then you are obviously well short of the requirement. All three of the activities 15 point Descriptors correspond to SG ones, but have very tight restrictions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cassie

More
7 years 8 months ago #165995 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Benefits Advice Please?
Hi Cassie,

I've had a bad experience with CAB many years ago when I appealed for the first time. My advice to you is to make it clear to your adviser that you wish to read any letter/submission before it is sent, so you can check for any inaccuracies or omissions.

My previous CAB adviser seemed to think it wasn't necessary despite my request for this, and as a result I had a completely fictitious and self-contradictory appeal statement sent to the DWP on my behalf!

I'm not suggesting that you adviser will be as incompetent as the one that I had, but any competent adviser would understand that a submission describing your difficulties with the descriptors must be accurate and checked by you, otherwise it will cause even bigger problems on appeal.

Also, don't forget that quite a high percentage of claimants with mental health problems qualify for WRAG or support group through regulation 29 and 35 respectively. Make sure you look at the guides and consider whether you satisfy the exceptional circumstance regulations.

Good luck,

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cassie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.