× Members

Courses

More
7 years 7 months ago #168101 by Jb
Courses was created by Jb
Hello there. I am still awaiting my ESA reassessment decision but I was wondering if undertaking a part time course i.e. about 4 hrs a week is permissable in either group if I did pass? I'm not actually sure if I would be able to even continue or finish a course if I did start one because of health reasons, which is what has put me off for the last few years that I had considered it.. But to be honest, I left the recent medical assessment feeling so utterly humiliated that I'm desperate to try and do something about my situation and start becoming active, if possible. I have tried to look elsewhere but can't see a definitive answer. Would it depend on which group I was put in (if either)? Or would it depend on reasons for my being on ESA in the first place? I am guessing I would probably have to inform the DWP, even if it was tailored towards work, so could this then also lead to yet another reassessment and lots more stress? Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168119 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Courses
Jb

Providing the course is part time, some short hour courses are labelled as full time, then there should be no problem. You also need to ensure that you attending is not at odds with any of the limitations on which your ESA award has been made.

I'm not aware of a requirement for you to notify the DWP if the course is part-time.

The following fact sheet has more information.

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...d-questions-students

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168191 by Jb
Replied by Jb on topic Courses
Thank you for your help. Yes, it's definitely part time as the provider only runs part time courses and they offer some concessions for people on certain benefits. I've had to check with them what would happen if I then started and was unable to continue, so it is a bit of a worry. Could I ask what you mean by not being at odds with any limitations on which an award may have been made? The link you provided also said the benefit would not usually be affected 'as long as you meet the basic conditions'. I'm not really sure what that means and most enquiries I've managed to find, seem more tailored towards full time study advice instead. I'm too worried I'd make things worse for myself by contacting the DWP to enquire directly or that they might miscontrue things and I know from past experience, that sometimes you can be told different things by different advisers..

More
7 years 7 months ago #168217 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Courses
JB

The issue is whether your attending at the college would be in contradiction to your stated limitations in regard to ESA, even if you do not need to attend, there could still be issues.

As a couple examples; if you have scored points under the Mobilising activity how will you manage getting to and from the college and moving from room to room, or if you have Social Anxiety, how will you cope with travelling on Public Transport, how will you manage in a classroom with other students?

As an example at home, if you have problems Starting and Finishing Tasks, how will you manage with course work?

Of course, if the reasons you receive ESA are not likely to be questioned by your doing this course then there should be no issues.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168313 by Jb
Replied by Jb on topic Courses
Ok, thank you. I don't think there would be coursework as such, as it's only a few hours in the centre but yes, I think I see now what you mean re limitations. I will have to wait for the new decision first then and look at points awarded, if any.. I'm not even sure what specific descriptors I received points for last time, only that finally at appeal, I received enough. I went through such a v.long, stressful process last time that I didn't go into further detail or request further information as I was in such a state and was glad it had finally seemed to come to an end. (Unless I lost the letter but I never knew which ones I rec'd points for). It just seems that on better days, you want to try and help your situation but then by doing so, you could jeopardise your benefit/situation. Can I ask, are any points, if awarded, specified for which descriptor in the decision letter, or would I still have to contact the DWP and request a copy of their medical report etc?

More
7 years 7 months ago #168337 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Courses
Hi Jb,

For ESA the points are not given on the decision letter, you would need to contact DWP and ask.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.