× Members

Mandatory reconsideration

More
7 years 7 months ago #168445 by Leakaycra
Mandatory reconsideration was created by Leakaycra
Hi
I am thinking about asking for a mandatory reconsideration but I am unsure whether at this stage they are able to decide to reduce the award that has been made or they can only do this at the appeal stage

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168448 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mandatory reconsideration

Leakaycra wrote: Hi
I am thinking about asking for a mandatory reconsideration but I am unsure whether at this stage they are able to decide to reduce the award that has been made or they can only do this at the appeal stage

Although it does not happen very often your award can be reduced or even removed at both MR and Appeal, however at Appeal the Judge must warn you if there is a chance of this happening so that you withdraw your appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168591 by Leakaycra
Replied by Leakaycra on topic Mandatory reconsideration
Thank you Gordon
I would like to put a mr in as my medical assessment came back totally untrue on many points even though I still got enhanced living and standard mobility I feel very angry that there are so many people suffer unnecessary due to uncaring so called professionals who actually either get claimants mixed up or tell bare faced lies
The thing that is making me unsure about appealing is the knock on affect losing my benefit could cause to not only me but my carer too I just feel like they have us over the barrel !!
On a positive note I would like to say a big big thank you to benefit and work for the great guidance I got filling my pip forms as they are completely different to the dlla forms

More
7 years 7 months ago #168635 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mandatory reconsideration
Leakaycra

Only you can make the Decision to request an MR or not.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.