× Members

I'm scared !!

More
7 years 7 months ago #168389 by Kerdan2006
Esa newbie was created by Kerdan2006
Good evening everyone , I have recently been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of the hip and I am looking to apply for ESA in the next few days ,I understand that I should phone my job centre plus to apply along with a fit note , my question is do I have to ask my doctor i.e. Make an appt to get one or do you get it from they're secretary /receptionist ?
What will the fit note say ? Do they go into detail ?
Many thanks xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168405 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa newbie
C

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Your GP will need to see you in order for them to issue a Fit Note, If they issue one then it will either certify you as Unfit for Work or place restrictions on your working and why, it doesn't matter which the DWP just require the Fit Note.

Once you have a Fit Note then you can make a claim for ESA, you will need to maintain an active Fit Note until a Decision on your claim is made.

ESA is not awarded because the claimants has a particular condition you will need to show that your Arthritis or other conditions prevent you from completing the ESA activities that you will tested against. Have a look at our ESA Claim guides for more information.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kerdan2006

More
7 years 7 months ago #168446 by Kerdan2006
Replied by Kerdan2006 on topic Esa newbie
Thanks for your reply , can I ask for a long term fit note ? What's the maximum time you can get one for ?
Thanks

More
7 years 7 months ago #168447 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa newbie

Kerdan2006 wrote: Thanks for your reply , can I ask for a long term fit note ? What's the maximum time you can get one for ?
Thanks

It will obviously depend on what your GP is prepared to put on the Fit Note but the DWP will not accept a Fit Note for more than three months in the first six months of a claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168455 by Kerdan2006
Replied by Kerdan2006 on topic I'm scared !!
Sorry I realise that this isn't really the place to post emotional feelings .
I've never been ill in my life before now , never claimed any disability benefits before ,I have to admit I'm rather frightened of the whole process .Its 2.12 am and I cannot sleep for all this gobbildy gook spinning in my head ,only just digesting my arthritis diagnosis let alone ESA,pip etc .If I could afford to take care of myself I wouldn't bother even applying
Guess I'll just have to take it one step at a time ,doctors next week for a fit note then the initial call to job centre to apply for esa .Hopefully you guys will help me with the next step after that ?
Sorry for my waffling , better try and sleep now
Thank you x

More
7 years 7 months ago #168473 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I'm scared !!

Kerdan2006 wrote: Sorry I realise that this isn't really the place to post emotional feelings .
I've never been ill in my life before now , never claimed any disability benefits before ,I have to admit I'm rather frightened of the whole process .Its 2.12 am and I cannot sleep for all this gobbildy gook spinning in my head ,only just digesting my arthritis diagnosis let alone ESA,pip etc .If I could afford to take care of myself I wouldn't bother even applying
Guess I'll just have to take it one step at a time ,doctors next week for a fit note then the initial call to job centre to apply for esa .Hopefully you guys will help me with the next step after that ?
Sorry for my waffling , better try and sleep now
Thank you x

It's not uncommon to be anxious about the process, you appear to have had a recent diagnosis that is having a major impact on your life and are being forced to confront it because of your benefit claims before you are ready to do so. It will get better, but I can't guarantee that you will be free of it, benefit claims bring their own anxiety.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.