× Members

PIP assessment health professional

More
7 years 7 months ago #168478 by Lynn
My husband has his face to face next week (whole process has been really quick). Despite whole range of medical evidence, they appear to have gone straight to the F2F without looking at it in detail. I gave tried to find out the profession of the assessor (I know her some). The websites provided by ATOS are no use as you would really need to know what actual profession the assessor is qualified in to search for registration etc. Can anyone advise? My husband has high level spinal injury and other complex needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168492 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment health professional
L

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

You won't be able to find out the qualifications of the assessor until the assessment, they should tell you whether they are a doctor, nurse, physio, etc.

The DWP position is that all assessors are trained to a standard set by them in disability assessment so the previous profession of the assessor should not be an issue, we don't agree with that (for obvious reasons) but it is not a matter you can pursue before the interview takes place.

Gordon

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #168496 by Lynn
Replied by Lynn on topic PIP assessment health professional
Thanks Gordon, on both counts. I struggle to understand how evidence from highly qualified professionals with decades of experience can be ignored when the "assessment" is only a short period with someone who has no understanding of my husband's needs. I am going to have all of the evidence we submitted with us. I will also printout some information on my husband's injury for them too. He is nearly 68 and has so many issues....

More
7 years 7 months ago #168514 by Leger.ME
Replied by Leger.ME on topic PIP assessment health professional
As an employee of a charity I regularly go to assessments with our members at a particular medical centre, they have all been very fair assessors apart from one and I had this one twice in 3 days. It was clear this assessor knew nothing about M.E.or Fibromyalgia and both members scored 0 points. If I was to get the same assessor again is it possible to say that I would prefer someone else to undertake the assessment? An added problem is that this person is the 'supervisor' of all the other assessors

More
7 years 7 months ago #168520 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic PIP assessment health professional
Hi Lynn

I agree about how can a nurse etc have as good as an understanding as a consultant but I know that the assessors are looking at how an individual is affected by their condition. Even if we have the same medical condition we are all affected uniquely.

One of the statements on the claim form say that they would not find printouts of information about conditions helpful, to make the most of the assessment may I suggest that if you haven't already done so, write a statement based on your experience covering your husband's difficulties with each of the activities, this will prove useful to the assessor and will have to be forwarded to the DWP as evidence.

After the assessment wait a week, then call the DWP office that is dealing with the claim and ask them for a copy of the assessor's report which they will post to you, the assessor has to enter exactly what they were such as nurse etc on the report. If the decision by the DWP is not what you hoped for and you find that the assessor has made some poor judgements in the advice they gave, you could use their less than adequate training and experience against them.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168531 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment health professional

Redmond wrote: As an employee of a charity I regularly go to assessments with our members at a particular medical centre, they have all been very fair assessors apart from one and I had this one twice in 3 days. It was clear this assessor knew nothing about M.E.or Fibromyalgia and both members scored 0 points. If I was to get the same assessor again is it possible to say that I would prefer someone else to undertake the assessment? An added problem is that this person is the 'supervisor' of all the other assessors

I think this would be problematical, you have not had an assessment with this person, let alone made a complaint against them, so there is no direct reason for you to ask for another assessor.

The best I can suggest is that you contact the Assessment Provider in advance of an appointment and see what happens, but I do not think that your reasons would be accepted as Good Cause if you refused on the day to be assessed by this person.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.