× Members

ESA - NI stamps only - do I have to see work coach

More
7 years 7 months ago #168662 by Emily Wright
My partner does not get ESA payments but does get his NI stamps paid. He is awaiting the results from a medical assessment and has received a letter telling him to attend a meeting with a 'work coach'. Does he have to attend?

More info
My partner has epilepsy and the combination of symptoms, med side-effects and associated injuries mean that he hasn't worked in about 10 years and I don't believe he is capable of working atm.

He was on IB but failed to return a form so was booted off about 8 years ago. He immediately reapplied but was told he had insufficient NI stamps for contributory ESA and I earn too much for income based ESA. Since then, he has filled in a ESA50 form twice and attended a medical assessment twice, most recently on 19 July. We have not had any response to the latest application and we are not expecting to get payments but we want him to keep getting his NI stamps if possible.

He has had a letter telling him to come to a meeting on 23rd Sept with a 'work coach'. If he is not eligible for ESA payments, only NI stamps - can they force him to attend this?

I have asked him to call the JCP to find out if he has been awarded ESA and if so, which group.

I am scared they have put him in the WRA Group and he is going to be hounded by the DWP until they find an excuse to stop him getting anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168677 by Gordon
E

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

He should be excused from WFIs and WRA due to his receiving ESA at the nil rate.

He should refer the advisor to the ESA Regulations 2008 as amended Regulation 52.2(d) and the Decision Makers Guide Chapter 53 paragraph 53014(4)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.