× Members

Pip to appeal or not to appeal

More
7 years 7 months ago #169044 by Redchud
Pip to appeal or not to appeal was created by Redchud
Hi looking for some help please I have just had the brown letter through the door, I was on high rate DLA for mobility and care for indefantly. Pip have awarded me standard care and nothing for mobility, I really want to appeal this decision but I am afraid that if I do I might not get anything back as they are trying to cut payments so much, we are paying for being ill and not able to work. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them, and did you ask for a reconsideration and got back all you lost or they have taken away what they awarded you in the beginning .
Thanks for reading and any help in advance.
Redchud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #169064 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip to appeal or not to appeal
Redchud

Whilst there is a chance that your award could be reduced further if you request an MR, it does not happen often, but it is something that you should factor in to your decision to pursue the matter.

PIP has on the whole has stricter criteria than DLA so it is not unexpected that some claimants will see a reduced award, it's why PIP was introduced :(

So, can you reasonably see how you would score the extra points that you would need for a higher award? If you can then you should think about an MR, if you cannot then you may need to go forward with the current award.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redchud

More
7 years 7 months ago #169126 by Redchud
Replied by Redchud on topic Pip to appeal or not to appeal
Thank you for taking the time to reply as they are closed tomorrow I will ring and ask for the assessment report will the number I call be on the from that I received or is there a different number.
Thank you again
Redchud

More
7 years 7 months ago #169299 by alison
Replied by alison on topic Pip to appeal or not to appeal
hi
yes the number should be on the report letter you recieved , just ring them up and ask for a MR , also follow it up in writing and send it recorded so you know they get it ,, when your on the fone also ask for a copy of your assessment to be sent to you ,,it can take a while for you to recieve this so depending on the date of your report you have a month to ask for a MR ,so make sure you do that before the date is up ,you might not of recieved the assessment report by then see,.i recieved mine within 4 days which after reading on here i was ratherlucky as it seems people are waiting alot longer for theirs now ,, good luck with your MR ,,all the best,
alison,

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.