× Members

ESA medical? In Support group & Receiving high PIP

More
7 years 7 months ago #169165 by jerusalem
I have been called to attend another ESA medical (the first under Maximus) when I am already in the support group for ESA and receive the highest rate of PIP. My PIP award was ongoing and not for a short period. I have several severe medical conditions one being genetic which does not improve, all of which the DWP have full evidence for together with a medical history that could fill a library. All of this led to my being awarded these benefits just 18 months ago with a points score far in excess of that required to obtain either.

I am totally bewildered why I am now being put through this again. It is making my health far worse as I know this process is unfair and that the decision of one person on one afternoon who knows absolutely nothing about me could turn my life totally upside down again after having to endure the last process and being awarded these benefits.

Is anyone else receiving the highest rate of PIP and in the support group and being asked to attend an ESA medical again after such a short time? How can I pass the stiffest of tests one minute and then be deemed possibly fit for work the next. How can I meet the criteria required to receive the highest rate of PIP and be possibly considered as potentially fit for work. Who on earth would employ me? It is just exceedingly mean and cruel to subject disabled people to this continual punitive process of constant examination and stress.

Yes examine me and obtain all the independent medical evidence that is available in order to ensure I am eligible for this support but the barrier is so high and disabilities so profound in order to obtain the benefits how then is it justifiable to treat you as if you have a cold or something that gets better and needs to be looked at all over so soon again . These are lifetime conditions and the DWP know full well they are.

How can anyone who exceeds the points total to meet the higher rate requirements for PIP on both physical and mental health grounds be possibly fit to undertake paid work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #169218 by Gordon
Jerusalem

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

ESA is a benefit with regular reassessment, anywhere from three months to three years depending on your conditions and how they effect you. The DWP are ever hopeful of a claimant recovering from their conditions or adapting to them, however unreasonable that might be.

PIP is not an out of work benefit, many PIP claimants work, some full time so I am afraid your PIP award does not exempt you from the ESA reassessment process.

I would recommend that you have a look at our ESA Claim guides to make sure that you have shown that you meet the current criteria for ESA. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.