× Members

Carers Question Please

More
7 years 7 months ago #169178 by redgt9
Carers Question Please was created by redgt9
Hi, my wife has been placed on PIP after getting DS1500 a few months ago now, sadly I was caring for her but I have now developed health problems and had to stop, so I got my sister to become her carer.

My sister has been a carer for my wife for a couple of months now, but now sadly my sister has just broken her leg in two places which means it is very hard for her to come to our home for the 35 hours per week the Government lays down.

My sister has now started to get her husband to come here to our home twice a day to pick up or deliver my wifes medication so she can maintain sorting her daily medication, picking up the dirty washing, she washes it, dries it and her husband brings it back and most of all she gets her husband to pick up the shopping either from our home or from the shops so my sister makes pre-cooked meals we can microwave.
My sister also gets her husband to bring her here to stay at least one night per week so I can have some rest at night once a week.

I'm sorry it's long winded but that is what is happening, can my sister continue to claim Carers, she is more or less doing the same and trying so hard to. She don't want to contact the Carers dept incase it causes changes but I told her she needs too, can I ask you what do you think. Thank you. Graham.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #169232 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Carers Question Please
Hi Graham,

In order to be entitled to claim CA the carer must be providing at least 35 hours care per week, although this does not always have to be hands-on care.

Certainly, sorting out your wife's medications, preparing meals and having her to stay will all count towards this. If your sister is still providing the required level of care, despite her own problems, she can continue to claim the benefit.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.