× Members

PIP Mobility

More
7 years 5 months ago #172541 by Annie
PIP Mobility was created by Annie
I was reading somewhere about the rules and regs regarding PIP and the moving about question.
It stated 'to stand upright on two feet and walk aided or unaided 20,50 metres'. My question is the 'stand upright' bit! Due to my severe scoliosis and kyphosis I am now unable to stand upright, I am continuously bent and look at the floor when walking. I have to stop every 10 metres or so so that i can stretch just for a few monents to determine where I am. I am usually in pain most of the day. My car is my lifeline. When sat in a chair I look normal, when I stand I give a totally different picture.
Would I be able to argue this point at a tribunal if I were to be unsuccessful in the DLA/PIP changeover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172543 by Annie
Replied by Annie on topic Definitions
Sorry Gordon, but this is where I found the info on the word what 'to stand 'means.

'Definitions
Terms used in the PIP descriptors are defined in regulations and, in relation to Activity 2, are -

"aided" means with - (a) the use of an aid or appliance; or (b) supervision, prompting or assistance;
"aid or appliance" - (a) means any device which improves, provides or replaces C's impaired physical or mental function; and (b) includes a prosthesis;
"assistance" means physical intervention by another person and does not include speech;
"prompting" means reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person;
"stand" means stand upright with at least one biological foot on the ground;
"supervision" means the continuous presence of another person for the purpose of ensuring C’s safety;
"unaided" means without - (a) the use of an aid or appliance; or (b) supervision, prompting or assistanc

More
7 years 5 months ago #172574 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mobility
Annie

You can certainly argue the point, however, I have not seen any Decisions on this or any other forum that have been based on the claimant being unable to stand properly.

You will have to argue that you cannot stand to a necessary standard but I would also include content about your inability to reliably walk a distance on the majority of days.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.