Robin's esa reassesement

• robin.ord14@btinternet.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #172835 by robin.ord14@btinternet.com
Robin's esa reassesement was created by robin.ord14@btinternet.com
Hi,
I wonder if you would mind commenting on this, as I’m panicking a bit :

I have complex PTSD & OCPD and was placed into ESA WRAG in 2009 and into SG from 2012 on review without a face to face assessment.

In Feb 2016 I returned a completed review ESA50 with supporting medical info.
Today, Friday 04-11-2016, a woman rang from Maximus at around 10am.
She asked if I could attend an assessment on Monday 7th Nov.
I advised not as it wasn’t enough time to arrange the CPN to attend.
She asked if Tuesday 8th was any better, I advised not that I would need some time to contact the CPN and arrange with her timescales.
She advised she would send a letter out with an appointment time and it would give me at least a week notice of the appt., as a minimum, however if it wasn’t enough time to contact the number on the letter to re-arrange.
I asked when the letter would be sent – she didn’t know it would just depend on when they had appointment slots available.
I explained I wasn’t expecting one as my condition had worsened since last time and in 2012 I was moved from WRAG to Support group on review without needing an assessment and she advised that it’s probably come up on their system as an Auto assessment.
She advised me to go to GP and ask for medical evidence of my condition worsening and they may be able to just leave me in the Support Group without an assessment.
I advised that the GP had already completed the report they sent to him, highlighting my conditions and increased Mental Health support and meds over the years in March 2016 and that I had sent the ESA50 & other supporting medical info to them in February 2016.
She advised it’s all been looked at and they’ve decided to call me for an exam.
The assessment is about asking me questions on my day to day life : how I cope etc.

Would you be kind enough to offer a view on whether this sounds right, why Maximus have taken 9 months to contact me, possible reasons why they have decided on an assessment when ATOS decided it wasn’t needed, any advice on numbers being moved from SG to WRAG and if Maximus have a specific agenda on trying to move Mental Health suffers from SG to WRAG and if the next working day assessment request is to try and get people to attend in an unprepared state.
Panicking a bit as I had read on DPAC website that if called for an assessment it basically means you are going to be removed from the SG and to be faced with the myriad of appeals etc.
Many thanks
Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #172859 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Robin's esa reassesement

Robin wrote: Hi,
I wonder if you would mind commenting on this, as I’m panicking a bit :

I have complex PTSD & OCPD and was placed into ESA WRAG in 2009 and into SG from 2012 on review without a face to face assessment.

In Feb 2016 I returned a completed review ESA50 with supporting medical info.
Today, Friday 04-11-2016, a woman rang from Maximus at around 10am.
She asked if I could attend an assessment on Monday 7th Nov.
I advised not as it wasn’t enough time to arrange the CPN to attend.
She asked if Tuesday 8th was any better, I advised not that I would need some time to contact the CPN and arrange with her timescales.
She advised she would send a letter out with an appointment time and it would give me at least a week notice of the appt., as a minimum, however if it wasn’t enough time to contact the number on the letter to re-arrange.
I asked when the letter would be sent – she didn’t know it would just depend on when they had appointment slots available.
I explained I wasn’t expecting one as my condition had worsened since last time and in 2012 I was moved from WRAG to Support group on review without needing an assessment and she advised that it’s probably come up on their system as an Auto assessment.
She advised me to go to GP and ask for medical evidence of my condition worsening and they may be able to just leave me in the Support Group without an assessment.
I advised that the GP had already completed the report they sent to him, highlighting my conditions and increased Mental Health support and meds over the years in March 2016 and that I had sent the ESA50 & other supporting medical info to them in February 2016.
She advised it’s all been looked at and they’ve decided to call me for an exam.
The assessment is about asking me questions on my day to day life : how I cope etc.

Would you be kind enough to offer a view on whether this sounds right, why Maximus have taken 9 months to contact me, possible reasons why they have decided on an assessment when ATOS decided it wasn’t needed, any advice on numbers being moved from SG to WRAG and if Maximus have a specific agenda on trying to move Mental Health suffers from SG to WRAG and if the next working day assessment request is to try and get people to attend in an unprepared state.
Panicking a bit as I had read on DPAC website that if called for an assessment it basically means you are going to be removed from the SG and to be faced with the myriad of appeals etc.
Many thanks
Robin

Hi Robin and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I have moved your question to its own topic. Unlike some other fora, we prefer members to start a new topic, even if there is already a similar one, as keeping things separate allows to to be sure that information given - or taken - is as accurate as possible for what we know of the member's circumstances.

The assessment providers often offer short notice appointments by phone. This is to try and fill up empty slots rather than anything else.

It is entirely down to the assessor to decide whether the claimant needs to be seen face2face. Your form will be examined on its own merits, it is unlikely that your previous paperwork will be consulted.

Whilst many claims are decided quite quickly, there are considerable delays in some areas.

If you have further questions about your ESA, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172861 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Robin's esa reassesement

Robin wrote: Would you be kind enough to offer a view on whether this sounds right, why Maximus have taken 9 months to contact me, possible reasons why they have decided on an assessment when ATOS decided it wasn’t needed, any advice on numbers being moved from SG to WRAG and if Maximus have a specific agenda on trying to move Mental Health suffers from SG to WRAG and if the next working day assessment request is to try and get people to attend in an unprepared state.
Many thanks
Robin

The nine month wait is simply down to Maximus still recovering from the overload to the system that IDS caused a couple of years ago. assessments are processed on a first come fist serve basis.

Maximus have a responsibility to the DWP to provide with a recommendation on what Descriptors and/or Regulations that the claimant meets. If they have sufficient information in and with the ESA50 to do this without a face to face then they should do so, but if they feel that there is not and this may to some extent be a subjective decision, then they have no choice but to require the claimant to attend a face to face.

You also need to be aware that the DWP guidance has been updated in the last few months especially in regard to qualifying for the SG due to substantial harm, so it is possible that a face to face has been triggered by this.

I am disappointed if DPAC is saying that having a face to face is an automatic fail, it is simply not he case. If you want to have a look at B&W members who have had successful ESA claims then browse through the forum looking for topics tagged with a heart icon, we are seeing more PIP awards at the moment but there are ESA ones in there as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.