× Members

PIP Home Assessment Question

More
7 years 6 months ago #173438 by Loch
PIP Home Assessment Question was created by Loch
Hi All

I have a PIP home assessment with Capita next week after being on DLA for 10 years HR Care & Mobility - Indefinite Award. I have rare neurological condition with a shed load of symptoms - the worst of which are crippling head pain, dizziness and balance problems and regular blackouts.

Oh, and I was diagnosed over 10 years ago, and my condition is incurable and degenerative, so all of my evidence is 10 years old as I have no reason to see my consultant on a regular basis as he cant help me. I suspect that that is the reason I am having a home assessment next week despite the massive amount of evidence I provided. The PIP process seems to be geared up to deal with people making new claims with recently diagnosed disabilities and not us long termers, which is ridiculous. Nuff said!

Now I have read that the health professional may ask me to stand on one leg and/or walk a few paces. Because of my problems I can do neither of these activities unaided, and even then I risk falling over or even blacking out. Due to my neurological condition and its associated cranial instability - a fall or blackout may risk further serious injury or paralysis.

So my question is am I within my rights to decline to do these or other such activities on the grounds that I cannot do them unaided and they may cause me harm? And if I do will it go against me?

Thanks ColinH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #173442 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Home Assessment Question
Colin

You can certainly decline if there is a risk of harm to you, you need to explain why this is the case to the assessor.

Declining due to needing aid is less clear as the PIP Descriptors take into account the use of aids and assistance from another person. If the aids or assistance are not available on the day, then this would be a valid reason for refusing, but if they are then you risk assumptions about your capabilities being made if you do not undertake the activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 6 months ago #173446 by Loch
Replied by Loch on topic PIP Home Assessment Question
Thanks Gordon

I am concerned that if i carry out an activity - even with my wife assisting me, I may blackout and that will be the end of my assessment as I will be unable to continue. So I think I will decline to carry out such activities that may lead the the assessment being cancelled prematurely.

Its going to be a trial keeping my focus and staying conscious while doing it for an extended period anyway. Cant Wait!

Cheers, Colin H

More
7 years 6 months ago #173468 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Home Assessment Question

ColinH wrote: Thanks Gordon

I am concerned that if i carry out an activity - even with my wife assisting me, I may blackout and that will be the end of my assessment as I will be unable to continue. So I think I will decline to carry out such activities that may lead the the assessment being cancelled prematurely.

Its going to be a trial keeping my focus and staying conscious while doing it for an extended period anyway. Cant Wait!

Cheers, Colin H

So there is a risk of harm

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.