× Members

DLA to PIP for 26 year old male with autism.

• sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #173474 by sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk
DLA to PIP for 26 year old male with autism. was created by sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk
My son currently has the DLA higher rate care and mobility. Our main concerns regards the mobility element. He is physically mobile but this is the problem as he has no road sense and no sense of danger. He is unable to use public transport as he does not understand timetables, cannot be in a crowded environment and any change to route or time would send him into a complete panic. When he is in a panic he tends to wave his arms about and shout, at 6 foot 5 inches this is a danger to anyone around him so he is currently driven everywhere when he can be persuaded to go out . He has know worked himself into such a state over this he is refusing to have anything to do with the PIP form and says he will not attend an assessment as he feels the whole process is making him "useless and worthless" and he is now threatening self harm. We are now worried that his PIP claim will simply be thrown out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #173486 by Gordon
Sue

This is difficult, I assume that you are not his appointees, if not then he is treated as a capable adult by the DWP and they will look to him to make his own decisions on his claim, even if this means that his claim is stopped.

Has he actually been invited to claim PIP yet?

Is he happy with his current DLA award? When was this awarded?

Does he understand why he receives DLA? Why does he see the PIP as different?

It is possible for you to complete the PIP form on his behalf, but if an assessment is required then you will need his participation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #173520 by sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk
Replied by sue.aprilhouse@blueyonder.co.uk on topic DLA to PIP for 26 year old male with autism.
I am his appointee and have been advised I can fill in the form and sign it on his behalf.

He does not fully understand DLA just accepts it is there to help him and he now thinks that PIP is just a way of taking that help away.

He is currently on the higher rate DLA for care and mobility indefinitely which was reviewed in 2006 and the care component was awarded in 1994 after his diagnosis. He also has Complex Learning Difficulties and Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome.

He receives 42 hours of support from South Gloucestershire Council via Direct Payments for his care.

He is in the ESA Support Group which was awarded without him having to attend an assessment.

Sue

More
7 years 7 months ago #173563 by Gordon
Sue

Well at least you can get the form completed :)

I'm afraid I don't know how you engage him with the assessment process, would it help if he understood the legislation and could see that now that an invite for PIP has been issued that he cannot retain his DLA? If he sees his DLA as helping him, what would it take for him to see the PIP in the same way?

You can try for a paper assessment but the decision for this lies wholly with the Assessment Provider and they can only do this if they are satisfied that they can make a Decision on the information in and with the PIP2.

Does he have insight into his conditions? If not and this is certified by medical evidence from those treating him then this may help with the paper assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.