× Members

Should I be asking for a home visit ?

More
7 years 8 months ago #165873 by Johninpain
Should I be asking for a home visit ? was created by Johninpain
Hi I sent my pip form back on July 30 and by Aug 5th I had a letter saying I would get a home visit from a HP on the 18th Aug
Now my question is I have been very ill and have had 2 deaths in the family in the last 6 months and had to use any extra space in my house to store the deceased personal items this means I have my bedroom loaded up around the outside and there spare room all a total mess can the HP inspect the house or is the home visit a sit down with a cup of tea type of thing will I need to get friends to move all the extra stuff in rooms I don't use ?
I know this seems like a silly question but I have been so unwell lately as long as I could get to bed and the toilet and kitchen everything else has gone to pot
And I am scared the HP will see me as some sort of lazy slob I have just had a very bad 12 months

So now you have sat through my wattling on is the home assessment a tour of the house or a sit down in one room while I answer questions and do some stretches and things any help about your experience would be gratefully received
Louise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #165877 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Should I be asking for a home visit ?
Hello John

You have had a horrible few months, I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't worry that your house or anything in it is up for assessment. YOU are the only thing the assessor is interested in.

The assessor is a visitor to your home and as such is only entitled to look at/inspect anything you want him/her to have sight of. So long as there is a chair to sit in I am sure your house will be perfectly adequate!!

It would be a good idea for you to have a friend or family member with you when the assessment takes place; You are obviously going to be stressed, and support from someone else is invaluable; when you are stressed you forget things (we all forget things) and someone with you can jog your memory and will be able to remind you of what has been said should you need to get in touch with the DWP afterwards if your award isn't as good as you would like it to be.

Please try not to worry about the state of your house or anything else - all you need to concentrate on is remembering what you put in your claim form and remind yourself of the descriptors that most apply to you so that you can give your best explanation to the assessor. If you need any help in the future please get back to us, and good luck with your assessment. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johninpain

More
7 years 8 months ago #165925 by Johninpain
Replied by Johninpain on topic Should I be asking for a home visit ?
Thank you for your help I am normally quite settled but this year has really rattled me so I was so worried thank you again this has really helped me

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.