× Members

New UC Claim in a full service area

More
7 years 2 months ago #183368 by aslaunn
New UC Claim in a full service area was created by aslaunn
Hello,

My partner is currently receiving PIP for her mental health condition, and also getting NI Credits for Income-related ESA. She is not entitled to any payments as my income is too high. However, we sent off a form last week to apply for her to be placed in the support group, as her condition has worsened in the last three months.

I recently also applied for Tax Credits, as we should be entitled to them. but was told I needed to apply for UC instead as we are in a full service area.

How will this affect the (ongoing) claim for ESA? We started applying for UC today, however my partner is not able to sign up for the claiment commitment of looking for work, as she is judged by the DWP to be unfit for work, hence the NI Credits. We selected the option that she is not fit for work, but the system still wants her to agree to be available to work and look for work.

This seems way too complicated! I don't want to miss out on much-needed extra financial support if we are entitled to it, but my partner obviously can't agree to the claiment commitment, so it seems like we can't apply.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #183395 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New UC Claim in a full service area
aslaunn

I'm afraid we do not advise on this aspect of Universal Credit, my recommendation is that you contact a local adviser, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

On of the major problems with UC is that it is not set up to handle existing claims only new ones. It may be possible to sort it out by making a claim over the phone. In principle your partner's claim should just be converted to ESA under UC and his Limited Capability for Work status preserved.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: aslaunn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.