× Members

They refuse to assess you because you want to tape

• denby
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
6 years 11 months ago #190364 by denby
Daughter rang to give required notice of recording, we turned up on time, receptionist asked if we still wanted to record the assessment, we said yes please, she said could she see recording equipment, I lifted two old tape recorders half out of the bag, she said 'Oh yes lovely fine take a seat.' 30 mins after appt time supervisor wanted to 'talk somewhere private' to me, I said here is fine, she explained that none of her assessors were willing to be recorded 'due to people splashing stuff across YouTube.' She said we could have the assessment if without recording, we declined. After ages on the phone she rebooked us for another centre in three weeks and handed me another copy of the travel claim form. She refused point blank to give me any written acknowledgement of what had happened or our attendance, only repeating 'that it is all on the system.' Whole experience very distressing for daughter who has hardly slept for 2 weeks working up to today. Thoughts please, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #190374 by Gordon
Denby

Unfortunately, claimants have no legal right to insist that their assessment is recorded and assessors do have a legal right to refuse to be recorded.

The important thing is that a new assessment was booked as the DWP have said that they will not accept a failure to record as Good Cause for failing to attend an assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• denby
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
6 years 11 months ago #190376 by denby
Thanks Gordon. Crumbs, they certainly reserve the right to mistreat claimants then. No wonder people are tempted to go down the covert recording route. Why can't they check with staff as soon as they get the request though, to avoid putting the already-in-chronic-pain claimant through extra pain suffering and emotional distress? Seems like cruel and unusual treatment. So if the assessor they have now booked her with changes their mind about being recorded, claimant could get the blame, they can treat her like a football until they get an unrecorded 'assessment if they want to be b----yminded?

More
6 years 11 months ago #190378 by Gordon
Denby

Both ATOS and Capita overbook their assessors diaries as there is a significant fall out of claimants on the day, as a result it is not uncommon for decisions about which assessor will do a particular assessment until the day of the face to face.

That said, it doesn't require huge organisational skills to sort this type of issue sufficiently far in advance to not inconvenience the customer, however the issue of Good Cause will mean that many claimants will go ahead with the interview, which is what I suspect the Assessment Providers rely on.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• denby
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
6 years 11 months ago #190381 by denby
Thanks, plot thickens.. Now is there any limit to taking two people in as well as claimant, because one thing we were offered was 'to write everything down' instead of audio tape? So if I could find a volunteer shorthand writer, could we take in such a person as well as her advocate instead of audio taping? Whilst obviously they could still argue it had been changed by claimant it would be much better than nothing.
Sick joke is the amount of emphasis placed on the nature of the recording equipment you have to provide, only for them to turn round and play this power card. Not to mention if they have got nothing to hide or be ashamed of, they would not have any reason to object to being recorded. Had a lovely lady assessor in December, who was very nervous herself as it was her first time to be recorded, do a friend's assessment, outcome for friend was perfect thanks to B&W guides.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190382 by Gordon
Denby

Notes taken by a certified stenographer would have the same legal status as an officeial recording with none of the baggage, but it would be expensive and it's important to be aware that appeal decisions are based on the claimant meeting the criteria and not the contents of the assessment report.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.