× Members

Ambulatory oxygen

More
6 years 9 months ago #193648 by David
Ambulatory oxygen was created by David
Hi Gordon
Would the use of prescribed ambulatory oxygen be considered as an aid ?
It does have a big impact on some activities ie cooking being a heat source is a big no when on oxygen.
Is ambulatory oxygen considered as therapy for the purpose of PIP ?

Thanks as always

D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193663 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Ambulatory oxygen
David

I think you will struggle on both counts but that should not stop you arguing your case.

There is Case Law for Mobilising that a nebuliser is not an aid for walking and I think that the same principle may be applied to the Oxygen, there are two issues you need to tackle, whether the claimant can complete an activity without the use of the Oxygen and secondly whether it meets the definition of an aid.

“aid or appliance”-
(a) means any device which improves, provides or replaces your impaired physical or mental
function; and
(b) includes a prosthesis.

Unless there is a specific activity, such as the claimant resting in an Oxygen tent, then I think the DWP will view the Oxygen as medicine and not therapy, this limits scoring to (b) of the Managing Therapy activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193666 by David
Replied by David on topic Ambulatory oxygen
Thanks Gordon
So if I can't mobilise more than 20metres without oxygen 12e should still apply.
Oxygen therapy, as it is called, for 6 hrs a day they would class as a medicine for the purpose of PIP.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #193674 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Ambulatory oxygen

David wrote: Thanks Gordon
So if I can't mobilise more than 20metres without oxygen 12e should still apply.
Oxygen therapy, as it is called, for 6 hrs a day they would class as a medicine for the purpose of PIP.

Yes, if you can show that you cannot reliably stand and then move (walk) more than 20m on the majority of days then you meet (e). This Descriptor says either aided or unaided so whether the Oxygen is classed as an aid or not does not matter.

“Therapy” is legally defined and means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a—
(a) registered –
(i) doctor;
(ii) nurse; or
(iii) pharmacist; or
(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council, but does not include taking or applying, or otherwise receiving or administering, medication (whether orally, topically or by any other means), or any action which falls within the definition of “monitor a health condition.

You need to show that the use of the oxygen meets this definition, I think the DWP will see it as akin to taking pain killers or the like. Do you think that you can show this?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.