× Members

PIP - Appeal Length of Award?

More
6 years 9 months ago #193830 by g7ivp
PIP - Appeal Length of Award? was created by g7ivp
Hi everyone, Is it possible to appeal the length of an award?
I have sent in a review form a month ago for my wife who gets PIP and I am still waiting for a response. The original award was for 3 years and the review form arrived about 12 months early.
We are applying for a mortgage as we want to move house but I have been told we need a letter from the DWP showing that the award is either “indefinite” or “for life”.
Do they make such awards? If the award is only for another 3 years can we appeal?
My wife’s condition is a genetic, incurable, progressive one and she gets (at the moment) enhanced rate for both care and mobility; her condition will never improve and there is no treatment.
Thanks for listening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193846 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Appeal Length of Award?
Quintus

The award length is part of the Decision and therefor can be appealed but I have to warn you that we have not seen anybody do this successfully where this was the only part of the award being challenged.

PIP does not have an indefinite or life award, the closest you will get is an on-going award, so the terminology may be inadequate for you mortgage, I also think that the chances of getting a on-going award where the fixed term award is anything less than 10 years is pretty slim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: g7ivp, rajrice@hotmail.com

More
6 years 9 months ago #193875 by rajrice@hotmail.com
Replied by rajrice@hotmail.com on topic PIP - Appeal Length of Award?
Thank you Gordon, good idea. There are other grounds too, see below. On a practical level can I withdraw the MR? I had felt DWP had been fair to me initially, would the Case Manager I spoke to have been that person? But a four year award, bit unusual?
I am being assessed and investigated for more mental and physical health conditions......maybe insist on help from DWP visitor to do the next review?

I got an ATOS 0/0 report but DWP awarded me 15/4 on my evidence which HP didn't bother to read. Nor did she write down anything I said at f2f. But I'm very stressed out atm, worried I might lose what I have although I thought I should have had higher scores.

I struggle with forms, over attention to detail
I also find it hard a to monitor or explain the minute details of my various Mental & Physical health conditions. My decision was made on a MR as DWP cancelled my claim. I read this was contrary to their own guidelines, when dealing with ppl with certain health conditions.

I had low rate care & mob DLA awards past 10 yrs so they had info on this and taking ages to get forms in each time. I got mob for needing help to go to unfamiliar places. I struggle due to a cognitive impairment, the ensuing chaos, brings on the psychological distress.

Also, it suggested to me, and I'd welcome your opinion - was to email JC+ Area Manager, including copies of 3 letters, ask him to intervene? Await response, cancel MR if positive. Feel bit bad complaining re that CM re decision. But I told her I was having difficulties, shouting without realising or intending to. Not very sensitive, she said she was going to hang up on me twice. I asked when the MR was due and she shouted I just told you! I said I was probably still concentrating on what you said b4 that. I have profoundly inattentive but combined ADHD.

Also should I pop in a SAR request? for all copies of files held by DWP, about me?

More
6 years 9 months ago #193877 by rajrice@hotmail.com
Replied by rajrice@hotmail.com on topic PIP - Appeal Length of Award?
Moderators fear I may have given too much info in my post awaiting approval.
As my situation is quite specific. My indefinite 10 year award was reduced by 6 years to 4?
If you agree, I am happy to edit and repost?
Or feel free to do so yourselves.
I am articulate but my traits of OCD & perfectionism, GAD, ADHD cause me real problems with forms
Thanks again

More
6 years 9 months ago #193890 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Appeal Length of Award?
scattyirish

Yes you can withdraw the MR request, just contact the DWP office dealing with your claim.

I'm afraid you cannot email the DWP, they do not accept emails from claimants.

What information are you looking for from the DWP, if it is just the assessment report then you can ring and ask for a copy, if it is more then have a look at the following.

SAR :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/request-for-personal-information.rtf

From this page :

www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: rajrice@hotmail.com

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.