× Members

Recent PIp award

More
6 years 7 months ago #197589 by David
Recent PIp award was created by David
HI I have just joined and need some advice. My partner has paranoid schizophrenia and has recently been reassessed for PIP. Her Dla was previously highest rate for care and lowest mobility indefinitely. After reassessment she has been awarded PIP standard rate for care only for 4 years. My Carers allowance doesn’t change.

The report says she scored 11 points. AT the moment she feels unable to go through with an appeal, this is due in part to a mental health worker saying that she could lose all of it. I have also read here that there is a risk involved.

The DWP decision makers report contains a statement that is entirely incorrect , it says my partner previously worked at a university . This is not what was said in the interview. She explained she first became ill at university and had to leave. We mentioned also that she has difficulty in social situations and can sometimes swear and needs to be accompanied by me, her carer, to engage. For mixing with other people she scored two points.

I don’t know if I can face asking for a reconsideration for her we still have 2 weeks to ask for MR I really don’t want to risk what she has been awarded. But There is such a glaring inaccuracy in the DWP decision that it raises the question if they got that fact wrong what else did they mis-hear? We were only there for 25-30 minutes.

My partner is in the ESA support group and has been for a long time and an ESA50 was sent back about a year or so ago and she remained in SG. The score for mixing with others in PIP is related to the ESA question appropriate behaiviour. Will they now change her SG status? She has daily episodes of disinhibited behaiviour but we were never asked about that in the PIP interview.

Basically I need to know what I need to do if her ESA is now reassessed. I really am at my wits end with worry she really can’t cope with changes to her routine and something like wrag in a Job Centre would make her worse. She struggles now. Any help on what I need to prepare for a possible ESA reassessment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #197611 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Recent PIp award
David

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The criteria for the PIP activity and the ESA one are sufficiently different that I don't think you need to worry.

I'm afraid I don't believe that correcting the error over her working at a University will make any difference to the award that has been made, she will only score higher if you can show that she meets the criteria for her to do so.

Unfortunately there is no mechanism other than a Mandatory Reconsideration and likely an appeal to have the DWP re-visit the Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 7 months ago #197614 by David
Replied by David on topic Recent PIp award
Thank you Gordon . That's helped me a lot. knowing that there is that difference. I don't think we can face an appeal or MR. So we will accept the PIP award as is. Thank you again .

More
6 years 7 months ago #197625 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Recent PIp award

David wrote: Thank you Gordon . That's helped me a lot. knowing that there is that difference. I don't think we can face an appeal or MR. So we will accept the PIP award as is. Thank you again .

If you change your minds then you can make a Late request for an MR up to 13 months after the date of the Decision, but you will need to explain why the request is late.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.