× Members

ESA - contribution allowance

More
6 years 2 months ago #209564 by Gill
ESA - contribution allowance was created by Gill
Hi,
Just read the posts regarding ESA blunder. Hope you can help, I will explain:
I was placed on with the support group ESA several years ago. Did not recieve any funding due to the fact that I could only apply for "income based ESA" which was not possible due to my partner working 40 hrs per wk. I had claimed contribiution based ESA for one year I think.
I split with my partner for a while and got ESA income based with the added support group funding With my partner now. NOW I have been sent ESA contribution based stating something about 365 days (poss insurance payed??) that I am now entitled too??? However, my NI contribution has been payed for years via ESA?? Please help?? Gill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209583 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Gill

I'm sorry but I am not sure what you have been sent, can you provide more information, perhaps an extract from the letter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #209648 by Gill
Replied by Gill on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Hi Gordon,
Apologies for the last message from me.....it is slightly confusing.....it was a bad day!!
Feel a bit better now so I will try to explain my predicament:
**I am in the Support Group for ESA. And have been for many years. Therefore, am I right in stating the my NI contributions are being payed?? I am pretty sure that is correct?
However, I have not been claiming any money due to my partner working full time. But just for a few months we split up and I started claiming ESA - I think it was contribution based??
Anyway, my partner and I are back together now (and were fine!).
**I received a letter from Work and Pensions that stated that I no longer can claim for contribution based ESA because 365 days was up?? Firstly, this is not true....I have only been claiming this benefit since December 2017.
**I am now in receipt of (i think) ESA income based which I need to cancel asap regarding my partner living with me and working full time.
WELL....I have just read that because I am in the support group ESA I should have been able to claim for the Contribution ESA???
I have read that because my NI contribution have been payed, or payed by someone, hence, by being on the support group ESA??? I am sorry this message appears complicated but can you please help??? Gill Just read that you want an extract from the letter I received....here goes
Quote....
.."Your claim for ESA - changes in the ESA rates payable" heading of letter....quote, "From 27th October 2017 your ESA will be £102.15 a week. This is because you will have reached the maximum 365 days that you can get contribution based ESA" and , "We have used the tax years ending 5 April 2007 and 5 April 2008 to access your claim" and, "We will credit you with NI contributions while you are claiming ESA" I do not understand this???? Gill

More
6 years 2 months ago #209694 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Gill

So as I understand it;

When you claimed ESA you were only entitled to Income Related ESA but this was not payable due to your husband working 24 or more hours a week.

You separated and your Income Related ESA became payable.

You have now reconciled and are living together again.

Assuming your partner is working more 24 hours or more a week then your ESA would not be payable again.

I believe that the letters about Contribution Based ESA are a red herring, if you originally only qualified for ESA(IR) then this would be no different now as ESA pays NI Credits and not NO Contributions which are required for a claim of Contribution Based ESA, the former do count towards a full State Pension.

If I have misunderstood your situation then please repost with corrections as necessary.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris