× Members

ESA - contribution allowance

More
6 years 2 months ago #209564 by Gill
ESA - contribution allowance was created by Gill
Hi,
Just read the posts regarding ESA blunder. Hope you can help, I will explain:
I was placed on with the support group ESA several years ago. Did not recieve any funding due to the fact that I could only apply for "income based ESA" which was not possible due to my partner working 40 hrs per wk. I had claimed contribiution based ESA for one year I think.
I split with my partner for a while and got ESA income based with the added support group funding With my partner now. NOW I have been sent ESA contribution based stating something about 365 days (poss insurance payed??) that I am now entitled too??? However, my NI contribution has been payed for years via ESA?? Please help?? Gill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209583 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Gill

I'm sorry but I am not sure what you have been sent, can you provide more information, perhaps an extract from the letter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #209648 by Gill
Replied by Gill on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Hi Gordon,
Apologies for the last message from me.....it is slightly confusing.....it was a bad day!!
Feel a bit better now so I will try to explain my predicament:
**I am in the Support Group for ESA. And have been for many years. Therefore, am I right in stating the my NI contributions are being payed?? I am pretty sure that is correct?
However, I have not been claiming any money due to my partner working full time. But just for a few months we split up and I started claiming ESA - I think it was contribution based??
Anyway, my partner and I are back together now (and were fine!).
**I received a letter from Work and Pensions that stated that I no longer can claim for contribution based ESA because 365 days was up?? Firstly, this is not true....I have only been claiming this benefit since December 2017.
**I am now in receipt of (i think) ESA income based which I need to cancel asap regarding my partner living with me and working full time.
WELL....I have just read that because I am in the support group ESA I should have been able to claim for the Contribution ESA???
I have read that because my NI contribution have been payed, or payed by someone, hence, by being on the support group ESA??? I am sorry this message appears complicated but can you please help??? Gill Just read that you want an extract from the letter I received....here goes
Quote....
.."Your claim for ESA - changes in the ESA rates payable" heading of letter....quote, "From 27th October 2017 your ESA will be £102.15 a week. This is because you will have reached the maximum 365 days that you can get contribution based ESA" and , "We have used the tax years ending 5 April 2007 and 5 April 2008 to access your claim" and, "We will credit you with NI contributions while you are claiming ESA" I do not understand this???? Gill

More
6 years 2 months ago #209694 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - contribution allowance
Gill

So as I understand it;

When you claimed ESA you were only entitled to Income Related ESA but this was not payable due to your husband working 24 or more hours a week.

You separated and your Income Related ESA became payable.

You have now reconciled and are living together again.

Assuming your partner is working more 24 hours or more a week then your ESA would not be payable again.

I believe that the letters about Contribution Based ESA are a red herring, if you originally only qualified for ESA(IR) then this would be no different now as ESA pays NI Credits and not NO Contributions which are required for a claim of Contribution Based ESA, the former do count towards a full State Pension.

If I have misunderstood your situation then please repost with corrections as necessary.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.