× Members

Unsure if I should request PIP MR or not

More
6 years 2 months ago #209628 by Tromador
I've recently been reassessed for PIP.

I scored 8 points in both categories, which gives me the same level of benefit as I was previously on, but with less points.

For daily living. I had been on 11.

For mobility I was on 8, but 4 were for moving around and the remaining 4 were for planning and following journeys. All 8 points are now allocated in the moving around descriptor.

I have lost a point in managing a medical condition, even though I explained I needed to use a mobile app to remind me to take pills on time, exactly as in my previous assessment.

They have decided that I am not suffering from anxiety, as I did not appear anxious during the assessment. This was because my friend had driven me to the centre, spent a good hour with me prior to leaving home and generally given me the support I needed to articulate my issues to the assessor. Had I not been talked down from a potential panic attack, I don't know how I would have explained all my problems. I feel a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. I am unable to well evidence my problem as my psychiatrist discharged me with a referral for psychologist follow up, for which I've been on a waiting list since 2016 wholly unsupported. I presume it's largely because of this that I have lost the points in the planning journeys descriptor in mobility and 2 points for engaging with other people.

Secondly the decision maker wrote that I had said I could cook if I had a stool. This is the opposite of what was said. I said that if I had a stool in the kitchen it wouldn't help as that won't fix the chronic fatigue from my sarcoidosis and that I need a chair with a back to lean on so I can control my pain effectively. Neither standing nor a stool would help. I scored two points for this descriptor, but cannot cook at all - I live on takeaways, reheated ready meals, pre-prepared salads and such. Anything that involves standing in a kitchen or at a cooker for any length of time can't be done.

I am concerned that as I am only on 8 points, changes to legislation (as was attempted recently) could put me below the threshold and I would lose money.
On the other hand, I am concerned that if I do submit my claim for mandatory reconsideration, they may decide that I have been given too many points and I lose my benefit that way.

I'd therefore like some advice of the best way to proceed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209679 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Unsure if I should request PIP MR or not
Tromador

Obviously the decision is yours but I see no value asking for an MR unless you believe you should have received a higher award, you also need to consider the risk to your existing award if you do.

A change of legislation cannot effect an existing award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tromador

More
6 years 2 months ago #209708 by Tromador
Replied by Tromador on topic Unsure if I should request PIP MR or not
Thanks Gordon. If a change in legislation cannot affect my award, then there is no point in rocking the boat, so to speak. That's really helpful and useful information thanks.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.