× Members

Evidence for PIP

More
6 years 2 months ago #210082 by Graeme
Evidence for PIP was created by Graeme
Has anyone had any success using an Access to Work assessment as evidence for a PIP application?
My CPN has said he can’t provide further evidence in writing for my mandatory reconsideration and won’t confirm verbally the aids I need. I think this is because we have not previously discussed these in our clinical work, but also partially due to other issues. The point is covered in my Access to Work and they pay for the aids I have stated that I need so I’m wondering if the DWP is good enough evidence for the DWP!
Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #210089 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Evidence for PIP
Graeme

You would need to show that any aids that were recommended were analogous to the aids that you would need for the PIP activities but if you can do this then I see no reason why you cannot include the information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #210096 by Graeme
Replied by Graeme on topic Evidence for PIP
Hi Gordon
Thanks for your reply. The aids are assistive technology to help me read when my concentration or motivation is low due to MH e.g. a screen reader program that will read text on the screen or provide a coloured overlay on the screen. I explained this on my PIP application but my CPN stated that he “is unaware of any diagnosis or dyslexia or reading difficulty” so they have disregarded my statement.
I did not have a f2f as I was in hospital during the assessment so it has been entirely done on a phone call with my CPN. Mostly this was helpful, but we did not discuss anything beforehand and he will not now change his statement (apparently his manager says he’s not allowed).
My concern is that they will still favour the CPN who apparently isn’t aware that mood can affect ability to read & process information.

More
6 years 2 months ago #210115 by Gordon
Graeme

The test does not take into account whether you need to be motivated to read, it is about whether you can read and whether you can understand the information.

Basically, if someone gave you a piece of paper with a paragraph of text on it in a standard sized fond, could you read it and understand what was written?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #210136 by Graeme
Replied by Graeme on topic Evidence for PIP
Sometimes yes, but sometimes I would not have the concentration as a direct result of my bipolar and would need to re-read it several times to follow the meaning. Having it read to me, or on a coloured background helps with this processing. Sometimes I would just give up. When I am experiencing a high, I really struggle to process written information. Hence the assessment and award from Access to Work (and before that, DSA).
There are other points that my CPN also incorrectly informed DWP about but I think it will be more difficult to challenge those as it will be a case of getting evidence from a different medical professional and pitting them against my CPN. I only need one more point for an enhanced award and am trying to pick my battles. Do you think it would be better to get my GP or psychotherapist to write a supporting statement to cover eating & drinking and/or communication? Both professionals have been working with me much longer than my CPN, who I have only had for a few months. Thanks

More
6 years 2 months ago #210149 by Gordon
Graeme

I would not pick your battles, if there areas that you did not score correctly for then raise the issues with all of them.

I'll be honest and say that I think your arguments for scoring for the Reading activity are week, your argument revolves around a need to use an aid to help you with information displayed on a screen and the test is aimed at a far simpler situation such as paper.

Although you say that you can have problems with this, you also say that with multiple readings, even when you are at your worse that after several readings you could understand the information.

Sorry

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.