× Members

Pain Management Programmes

More
6 years 5 months ago #211187 by bassettsfarm
Replied by bassettsfarm on topic Pain Management Programmes
Hi, thank you for that reply. Like you, the physio man has been the leading force. I th8nk basically these courses are meant to help you get off of as many drugs as possible, and try to teach you mindfulness techniques so you can meditate the pain away.

As you say, it’s one of those damned if you, damned if you don’t scenarios. Well, I have been to 5 of the days, but due to being really ill I couldn’t go yesterday. Again, you’re like me in that meeting people is very stressful. I have found it really very awkward to be with a room full of strangers (12 others in total) and being asked personal questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #211223 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Pain Management Programmes
Hi Amanda,
thanks for hour reply. 12 people in a group session!!!!!!, that's sound more than daunting to me. I seriously can't see me going on this pain management. I couldn't cope with the stress of being with others, more so strangers and all prying into my personal disabled life.

I did once go on a CBT course, and I told the therapist that I cannot cope with others due to mental health issues, as well as my physical disabilities.

And I told her I can only do a 1 on 1, the lady therapist agreed, thwn 2 sessions later she was forcing me to go into group therapy, as it was convenient for her to kill half a dozen birds with one stone lol.

I never returned, and the therapist sent my GP a nasty letter or memo, stating I had refused to do the CBT. I explained and told my GP the whole fiasco, and that I was basically lied to by my therapist, and I don't do groups, so she was trying to force me against my will to participate.

My GP was understanding and I've never had any mental health treatments or therapies ever since, only massive increases in Anti-depression tablets.

So I may go back to my GP and tell him, I couldn't cope with the pain management group, I feel that I need therapy for mental health before I can cross that bridge.

Not unless the physio bloke puts it in writing he will give me pain management on a 1 to 1 basis, but i know thats never going to happen.

Kind regards and all the best to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassettsfarm

More
6 years 5 months ago #211232 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Pain Management Programmes
This is not my experience (with DWP thinking better etc) in fact have things like
yoga, swimming, gym etc in my care plan and get points for needing support with therapy etc.
However in my case my main problem is mental health and not claiming mobility. I guess it may be different for that, I expect, I find the activity really helps with nerve pain for another condition though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassettsfarm, MrFibro

More
6 years 5 months ago #211259 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Pain Management Programmes
I would struggle with CBT or therapy in a group setting too and found the following books / resources helpful:

A book called "Change your thinking with CBT' (from Amazon)
Headspace (Mindfulness app)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFibro

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.