× Members

ESA and Universal Credit transition questions

More
6 years 5 months ago #211071 by IamShell
Hi, I hope one of the mods can help with these questions...

I'm currently on income-related ESA (SG) and understand universal credit is getting rolled out in my area later this year (Sept, I think). I am wondering, well, worrying, about when I am likely to be expected to make the transfer and what's involved... I saw on one site that those on sickness benefits will be likely to make the transition last (after JSA/ HB/ other benefits etc) and that those on ESA won't have to undergo the process until 2019, with an expectation all those on ESA benefit will have been swapped over to universal credit by 2021. I also read that they will transition ESA WRAG first, then those in the SG. Is this accurate? This info was just in a conversation thread on another board (not a member of it) and was a couple of years old so I don't know if this is true or not. :S
Is UC roll-out running to timetables, even?
Also, I don't know if it will be the case for me but what happens if a new assessment (ESA50 and medical) happens just before the changeover from ESA to UC is due, or even coincides with it? Would you be required to undergo two assessments? One for ESA and then another for UC? Do the sick also need to wait the 5 weeks (I think I heard) without money while the changeover happens.
On top of other conditions, I have horrible anxiety and this stuff (the unknown) around changing from ESA to UC...the whens, hows etc are making that a lot worse...

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #211076 by Gordon
MS

I'm not aware of any updates to the migration schedule but I think it starting in 2019 is extremely unlikely given how far behind the process is and the two year completion time is utterly ridiculous given it has taken the DWP eight years to migrate IB claimants on to ESA.

I haven't hear of the suggestions about who might be migrated first and as no "migration" legislation has even been drafted yet I would take it with a pinch off salt.

Unfortunately, this also means that we don't know how migrations will be done, my best guess is that it will be done when claimants come up for reassessment as this would minimise the impact but the DWP are not know for taking the sensible route for these things.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 5 months ago #211102 by IamShell
Replied by IamShell on topic ESA and Universal Credit transition questions
Hi Gordon, thank you.
I'm wondering if some ESA reassessments could've been delayed purposely to tie in with the changeover to UC. As you say, the DWP are not known for a logical approach so it would seem unlikely, but they are a law unto themselves.
My concern is, if that's not the case and it fell so that an ESA reassessment was done right before UC was due to replace it, would the claimant then be expected to undergo the assessment process again under UC rules...potentially forcing two assessments on a claimant in a very short space of time?

I've read nothing to say that UC in my area will come in later than stated on the official list...not sure where I picked it up but I actually thought the roll-out was running ahead of schedule. There are delays, then and they're actually running well behind schedule?

I've seen some here speaking of being in the process of making the transition from ESA (I think) to UC. I assume the changeover schedule varies according to where you are in the country and perhaps your other benefits like Housing Benefit etc.

Thanks, Gordon.

More
6 years 5 months ago #211121 by Gordon
MS

It's important to understand that none of the members posting on here have had their ESA moved to UC as part of the planned migration. All of them have been moved because they have had to claim UC for other reasons, for example they have moved and had to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

So at this time there is no changeover schedule.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: IamShell

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.