× Members

Accumulation of savings following PIP award

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #215227 by Each day as it comes
Accumulation of savings following PIP award was created by Each day as it comes
Hi, I was awarded the enhanced rate of both daily living and mobility components of PIP last October, backdated to early June. Since the award, I have often not been well enough to leave my flat, even with support, (as the mobility money was designed to pay for), and so, from not spending the money allocated for mobility, my savings have accumulated - now approximately £12,000, rather than the approximately £6,000 I started with. Due to brain fog and fatigue associated with my health problems, I struggle to keep track of my finances and know what and when to report and /or take action on it and I was actually awarded PIP points for this reason.

I realise that I need to inform the DWP of my increased savings (and in fact only realised yesterday that I also need to let the local council know about my increased savings too with regards to housing benefit - I have now emailed them to let them know), but am concerned that, from a DWP perspective, the fact that the savings accumulation is due to unspent PIP income, might trigger an early PIP reassessment, even though I have been awarded it for 10 years. I wondered if you could advice me on wording for my covering letter to minimise this risk - do I give them any kind of explanation? eg the true one of frequently being too ill to leave my home, even with support and, for reasons of both anxiety and physical ill health - both documented in my PIP assessment report - I haven't properly explored support worker options yet for getting out when I want to, even though I need and want to do so long term for greater independence. I am also waiting for notification of a ESA reassessment - I submitted my paperwork early April but not heard anything back yet - and had hoped that the recent PIP assessment and strong medical evidence might cause them to just put me back into the support group based on a paperwork assessment alone, but this hasn't happened so far. I don't want the accumulation of my savings to negatively impact my ESA assessment, if at all possible.

My needs haven't changed since being awarded PIP: I still rarely leave my flat or its grounds.
When I have got out further than the flat's grounds, it has usually been with assistance from friends or a volunteer community transport scheme (I am able to hold onto the driver for support walking to and from the car but this transport scheme is a voluntary one so lifts are not always available when I need or want them) , or taxis - if it is possible to get close up to the venue and no independent walking needed. There have also been many occasions where I would have gone out if I'd had practical support, but I haven't been well enough to arrange such support. So there is still the need.

Apologies for such a long message. I would be grateful for any advice for the above, including the likelihood of triggering a much earlier -than- scheduled PIP reassessment, and also if you have any information about the usual length of time between submission of ESA reassessment paperwork and calls for a face to face assessment. (My GP has supported me in requesting a home assessment and I had one for my PIP assessment). Also, if a recent award of enhanced PIP for both daily living and mobility elements is likely to have any impact on ESA reassessments.

Thanks and best wishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: angel*1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215260 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Accumulation of savings following PIP award
H

Your PIP is not affected if you do not spend the benefit as it does not consider your income or savings.

You mention that you have ESA? If you receive only Contribution Based ESA then it is also not affected by your savings but if you receive any Income Related ESA then any saving over £6000 will impact on your ESA(IR) and if your savings exceed £16,000 then your ESA(IR) payments will cease, see

Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

If you do receive ESA(IR) then you must contact the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #215274 by Each day as it comes
Replied by Each day as it comes on topic Accumulation of savings following PIP award
Thank you, that's helpful. I am in the support group and receive both contribution and income related elements of ESA, so I will contact the DWP as you suggest. I've printed out my last year's worth of bank statements for them to base their calculations on and will pop them in the post shortly with a covering letter.

A couple more supplementary questions with regards to my initial forum posting:

Is the wait of nearly 4 months since submitting my paperwork for ESA reassessment without hearing anything, or being called for a face to face assessment, unusual?

Are recent PIP assessments ever taken into account when making decisions about ESA eligibility?

Thanks and best wishes.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215285 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Accumulation of savings following PIP award
H

You can chase Maximus for an update

www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

but there are considerable delays still in the ESA assessment process with some members reporting waits of nine months.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Each day as it comes

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.