× Members

Can an assessment be split in two?

More
6 years 2 months ago #215532 by Tylluan Penry
Can an assessment be split in two? was created by Tylluan Penry
Today I had a home visit for my PIP review assessment. The assessor who called didn't even wait and ring our bell, but started walking away before my husband called out to her.

It took an hour for her to go through my various health conditions (I admit they are complex, but I provided plenty of evidence from various consultants etc.) She said she didn't understand why my assessment hadn't been done on paper because there was plenty of supporting evidence.

What did surprise me however was that as we came up to the one hour mark, she said she had to finish there because she had another assessment to do, but that someone else would come and finish my assessment at some point. She said they should have booked a 'double' appointment for me.

Is this actually correct? I can understand if she had to come back, but to send someone else seems needlessly stressful, and surely won't save time because I'm going to have to go through a lot of things again.

I'd be very grateful to hear if this is correct, i.e. that two different assessors can carry out an assessment for the same person.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215535 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can an assessment be split in two?
Magwitch

We have seen a handful and I do mean no more than that, of assessments where a second "session" has been required but it should be done by the same assessor, not another one who will not know what has already been covered and will basically have to start from scratch again.

I would contact the Assessment Provider on Monday to find out what is going on and if a second appoinment is required, I would make a complaint.

Is the AP Capita? If it is then you might also want to mention their behaviour at the door, see

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3745-clai...here-was-nobody-home

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tylluan Penry

More
6 years 2 months ago #215536 by Tylluan Penry
Replied by Tylluan Penry on topic Can an assessment be split in two?
Yes, it was Capita. She literally walked up the path to our gate, turned and walked back out again. I'll certainly contact them on Monday about the assessment. She phoned her manager (not her usual one, apparently, who was unavailable) and simply left a message for him.
Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215798 by Tylluan Penry
Update: Rang Capita explained what had happened (including behaviour at the gate).

Was told it was being investigated to see why the assessment was stopped, and to phone them back on Friday (3rd August). I explained that the assessment wasn't 'stopped' but that the assessor ran out of time.

Feel a bit uneasy at the 'spin' on this. Am I being investigated or the assessor? I'll keep you updated as and when I get any news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
6 years 2 months ago #215883 by Tylluan Penry
uPDATE:
Phoned Capita to be told they had booked me another assessment, this time for two hours at the nearest assessment centre. I explained I had a doctor's letter in support of a home assessment, and that they had accepted this (hence my recent home visit a week ago.) I was told to get a taxi - my arguments fell on stony ground. Everything I said, the response was 'get a taxi' even though I now have IBD and am liable to soil myself (and the taxi).

So I took your advice Gordon and said I wanted to complain. In fairness they wanted full details of what had happened at the first assessment and I gave them this. I did ask though, when they mentioned about it being 'under investigation' who exactly was being investigated? Myself or the assessor. I was assured it was 'the case'.

I stressed to them that the assessor was polite, but that she had clearly intended not to do the assessment, and there was no excuse for not ringing the bell and starting to walk away. I explained I have had other home assessments and none had had this problem.

I also stressed that she was very slow, and there was no earthly reason why it would take a whole hour to note down my medication - she didn't ask a single question about my daily living routine.

I explained that I felt it was hugely unfair that I should have to have three hours of assessment plus was expected to make a long and impossible journey simply because the original assessor had not done her job properly. I was being penalised for her shortcomings.

Eventually, he suggested he would get advice and I would have either another one hour home assessment, a two hour home assessment or a paper assessment.

In the meantime I will get an appointment for a two hour appointment at an assessment centre.

More
6 years 2 months ago #215888 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can an assessment be split in two?
Magwitch

You need to keep a close eye on this situation, as they have still booked an appointment at their offices, you must attend unless they offer a home assessment as a replacement, so it;s really important that you do not leave it to the last minute to chase up on this, a decision about a home assessment should only take a couple of days.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tylluan Penry

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.