× Members

ESA Contribution Based

More
6 years 1 month ago #215732 by Holly
ESA Contribution Based was created by Holly
Hello

I want to make a claim for ESA - Contribution Based. From 2010 to April 2016 I was in receipt of carers allowance and I believe basic national insurance contributions are automatically allocated to me. I stoped claiming the benefit but I continued to care full-time for my dad until he passed away in 2017.

I have been trying to find out/understand if I am entitled but I am getting very confused. I havent been in receipt of any paid work due to the Caring but was kept by my husband up until a year ago. I am now living off of savings. I do want to get a part-time job but this wouldnt be possible at the moment due to my illness.

I have completed the ESA test, perhaps I dont understand the questions but the test assesses me for being elegible for both the support group and the work related activity. I dont understand too much about ESA, but I dont want to make a claim for JSA as I truly am not fit for work. Getting a part-time job will do me the world of good healthwise but I understand if I apply for JSA I have to be looking for full-time work and this would be impossible for me due to severe depression that leaves me not able to function properly.

Would I be ok to apply for contribution based ESA?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215745 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Contribution Based
Holly

Carers Allowance pays NI Credits, not Contributions, these are not usable for an ESA(CB) claim, however, there is a relaxation of the ESA Contribution Conditions if the claimant was in receipt of CA in the last complete tax year immediately preceding the relevant benefit year.

The current Benefit Year is 2018 so the relevant Tax Year April 2016 to April 2017. You say your CA stopped in April 2016, was this after April 5?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 1 month ago #215756 by Holly
Replied by Holly on topic ESA Contribution Based
Hello

No, I definitely stopped claiming in January 2016 - I have been a carer since 2010 for both my son and father. I continued caring for my father fulltime untill he died in January 17. I understand I could have still received NI credits because I cared for my father even though I didnt claim carers allowance. He received Attendance Allowance. I wish I did now!

I had been in receipt of Carers Allowance for my son who is Autistic but I did not renew his claim for DLA when he reached 16. I coudnt put my son through the Assessment. My son still has crazy meltdowns, horrible anxiety and pain from sensory issues but you are made to feel you are not in need at these assessments.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215757 by Gordon
Holly

You lose nothing by making a claim for ESA(CB), have you looked at whether you can claim Income Related ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 1 month ago #215765 by Holly
Replied by Holly on topic ESA Contribution Based
Do you mean, there is still a chance I may get it ESA (CB)?

I dont believe I will be entitled as I think my savings are still too high. I will check the numbers out. Thank you.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215776 by Gordon

Holly wrote: Do you mean, there is still a chance I may get it ESA (CB)?

I dont believe I will be entitled as I think my savings are still too high. I will check the numbers out. Thank you.

I think it unlikely but the worst that the DWP can do is refuse payment but if you continue the claim and meet the criteria you would still receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid