× Members

Dla claimant 's carer going into care home

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #218286 by talushkin
I have been claiming DLA for years and was expecting to have to claim PIP soon and we were stressed but coping. Now my long-term carer who gave up work to look after me is just about to go into a care home for some months meaning that he cannot care for me. I assume I'll have to put in new claims meaning that it's likely that I'll have to work. … I am terrified and have a psychiatrist and my GP on my side. I think I need an almost full time carer but there would be no "carers" or "income" support to help them as with my partner. I don't know what I could get, how to claim and how I'm going to manage...I assume I now wont get PIP at all...is this true?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #218296 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Dla claimant 's carer going into care home
talushkin

Forgive me but your post is not entirely clear.

Are you saying that your carer is your partner?

Will you now lose benefits because your carer is no longer able to claim CA for you?

Are you aware that you carer can take a four-week break in any 26 week period and be paid Carer’s Allowance during these breaks? They must have been providing 35 hours or more of care a week for at least 22 of the past 26 weeks to qualify.

Also, they can continue to get Carer’s Allowance for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period if they have to go into hospital. 12 weeks is the maximum, I don't know whether their going into a care home but it is worth asking.

Failing that, put your information into one of the online benefit calculators to see what you might be able to claim on your own.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

I don't see any reason why you would have to work unless you wanted to so there is no reason why your PIP award would be removed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.