× Members

Advice needed- carer allowance ,work coach appt.

More
6 years 3 days ago #218349 by QWERTY
Hi,

A friend who cares for a relative has received a letter from the jobcentre saying she has an appointment with a work coach. It says the appointment will last one hour and that she can submit a claim for any child care/adult care costs. It states that she if she does not attend and participate without good reason then her benefit might be sanctioned.

My friend had been advised , by the job centre, that carers are exempted from having to seek employment, but the letter doesn't seem to make any clear reference to her being a carer.

Would you be able to advise if this is a standard letter for a carer to be sent ? What does the appointment involve and what does having to participate mean ? Does she have to comply with whatever the work coach says.? Does her status as a carer give any exemption from job seeking tasks?

My friend is caring full time and this has added a great deal of stress to someone who already has a great deal to cope with. Any advice that would help her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 days ago #218363 by Gordon
QWERTY

What benefits are they receiving?

If an Income Related benefit such as Income Support then it is a requirement that the claimant and their partner if they have one attend regular Work Focussed Interviews, these are not normally more frequent than every three years.

I would be very surprised if the meeting lasts an hour, they usually ask

"Do you need help finding additional work?"
"Err! No"
"Are you sure"
"Yes"
"OK, see you in three years".

If they are not receiving an IR benefit then I don't know, does the letter say anything else?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 days ago #218377 by QWERTY
Hi,

She is receiving an income related benefit. Does she need to take any info with her eg bank statements, or is it simply focussing on asking if she needs any help finding additional work?

The letter doesn't ask her to take any info with her, just seems to focus on the help the work coach can give and having to participate.
She said the advisor who helped her initially with carers allowance etc said they would contact at some point , but she doesn't know if this is the appt they meant. She just doesn't know what to expect .
Thanks again for your help.

More
6 years 2 days ago #218391 by Gordon
QWERTY

The only thing she needs to take is identification, they usually ask for some form of photo ID if the claimant has it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #218582 by QWERTY

Gordon wrote:
What benefits are they receiving?

If an Income Related benefit such as Income Support then it is a requirement that the claimant and their partner if they have one attend regular Work Focussed Interviews, these are not normally more frequent than every three years.

I would be very surprised if the meeting lasts an hour, they usually ask

"Do you need help finding additional work?"
"Err! No"
"Are you sure"
"Yes"
"OK, see you in three years".

If they are not receiving an IR benefit then I don't know, does the letter say anything else?

Gordon

Hi,

My friend called round with the work coach letter ....the letter is titled
"Helping you prepare for work
Come and meet your work coach "

The letter says "We want to help you prepare to find work when you are ready to do so. That's why we've set up a meeting for you with one of our work coaches. You can talk to you work coach about any help and support you need to return to work now, or in the future. Your meeting will last up to an hour."

The letter goes on to say my friend can bring someone to the meeting if she wants or needs support with talking to the work coach and understanding what is agreed in the meeting. My friend doesn't have difficulty with the appt but is worried about what I meant by "what is agreed to in the meeting,".

The letter says she has to take part in her meeting as she will be able to talk about her situation and any steps her work coach can help her take towards work.

The letter then states that if she does not attend or take part in the meeting they will contact her to ask for her reason. If they decide she didn't have a good reason for not attending or "taking part" she will have some of her benefit sanctioned.

As mentioned in this thread , my friend caring for a relative, receiving an income related benefit and had been advised previously by job centre that carers have exemption from having to seek employment.

She is really stressed by what "taking part in the meeting " means, how the work coach would decide she wasn't taking part in the meeting and possibly being asked for a good reason or sanctioned.

Given the details in the letter, do you think that this appt is about the requirement to attend a regular work-focussed interview as a carer ? (The letter doesn't seem to directly state that she is a carer).

Could you give any advice on what ,"taking part in the meeting", involves, also what would she be asked to agree to? Does it take into account that she is a carer?
She is trying to prepare for the appt and would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks for any advice you can give (sorry if I'm asking similar type questions, I didn't have chance to see friends letter before now, but she Is under great deal of stress and I was trying to think of how to help).

Thanks again.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218612 by Gordon
QWERTY

I understand that your friend is concerned but the letter does not suggest that it is anything other than I have already suggested. They cannot be required to work, to prepare for work or to even look for work.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: QWERTY

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.