× Members

Housing Benefit - Under Occupancy

More
5 years 11 months ago #218581 by Ditzee
Housing Benefit - Under Occupancy was created by Ditzee
My husband has now moved into my rented home with me. He has been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer with a 6 month prognosis to live. His Macmillan Benefits Advisor sent a DS 1500 form to DWP and he has consequently been awarded both elements of PIP at higher rate. He is currently receiving ESA-CB and advisor has also contacted DWP ESA department about his prognosis. I notified the DWP of change of circumstances and they simply posted an ESA3 form for me to complete and return as I currently am in the Support Group of ESA - Income Related. I am keeping fingers crossed that this COC does not trigger a Universal Credit Claim for me! I also contacted my local council regarding COC and they have posted a form for me to complete with details of my husband and his income. I have a 2 bedroomed rented property but only had one bedroom furnished and I am paid the LHA of £440 per month and actual rent is £600. My husband's aggressive cancer and hard regime of chemotherapy is and will be taking its toll on him and it is not practical to have the one bedroom space. The spare bedroom is being furnished with a bed this week and I have asked the local council if they would consider paying the shortfall in the rent of £140 during his chemotherapy treatment. They are conducting a home visit on 17th October. I am hoping that they can either pay the equivalent of a 2 bedroom LHA or alternatively, apply a Discretionary Housing Payment. Has anyone else had any success in being granted either in circumstances where their partner is t a late stage cancer patient and requiring a spare bedroom due to the severity of their symptoms and or side effects of treatment and does the fact that he has had a DS 1500 issued by Macmillan carry any weight when the Council consider their decision?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218611 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing Benefit - Under Occupancy
Ditzee

I'm afraid we do not deal with HB on the forum, maybe members in similar circumstances can comment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #218732 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic Housing Benefit - Under Occupancy
If there is a medical need for him to have a seperate bedroom I think you should be OK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ditzee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.