× Members

Applying for ESA and getting a Fit Note

More
5 years 11 months ago #218651 by Alison
Hi

I am just looking into applying for ESA and read that I will need a Fit Note to start the process. I've actually not been able to work for about 5 years, was self-employed before that, and as my hubby had a decent income and we had plenty of savings, I assumed I wouldn't be eligible for benefits. Unfortunately it's becoming very clear that I'm not likely to be able to start working again as far as we can see. Also hubby's employer went bust and he was out of work for a year, he finally got a lower level lower paid job, so our financial position is not as secure, though we are still fortunately comfortable at the moment. I thought I'd give ESA a try for the contributory benefit as I've actually kept up my NI contributions all this time. I haven't ever asked for a Fit Note though. Is there anything I should be aware of about getting one? My drs aren't really that involved with my illness, Fibromyalgia, as I'm at the stage where I just have to get on with managing it, and there's no one dr with responsibility for my care. I'm just hoping I don't have to convince them why I need a Fit Note!!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218663 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Applying for ESA and getting a Fit Note
Alison

If you have not worked for five years then I would be surprised if you can claim Contribution Based ESA, the Contributions that you can purchase in regard a State pension cannot be used for benefit entitlement.

Issuing a Fit Note is at the discretion of your GP and whether they consider you to be Unfit for Work, if they are not involved in your treatment then they may be unwilling to do this without further investigation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alison

More
5 years 11 months ago #218702 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic Applying for ESA and getting a Fit Note
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your reply. I just checked the govt website and Class 2 self-employed do count but not Class 3 so I need to check which I've been paying. I think, certainly until last tax year, I asked the HMRC to still count me as self-employed on my tax returns as I kept hoping I would be able to do some work and didn't want to have to set things up again.

Yes I suspect I'll either be pleasantly surprised by the GP or have to go through all my history yet again, because of course I look well....

Anyway, many thanks as at least if I'm not paying the correct one you've saved me a lot of pointless work!

More
5 years 11 months ago #218729 by Alison
Just thought I'd report back to say I've checked my tax returns and I have been paying Class 2 NI Contributions voluntarily. So hopefully that means it's at least worth my applying.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218740 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Applying for ESA and getting a Fit Note
Alison

For a claim made this year, you will need a minimum of 50 weeks of NICs in the two tax years 2015-16 and 2016-17.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 11 months ago #218749 by Alison
Thanks. Yes I’ve paid a full year’s NI Class 2 contribution every year since I went self-employed and up to and including the last tax year, so I should be covered :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.