× Members

Following a route

More
5 years 11 months ago #218697 by gilders
Following a route was created by gilders
Hi Gordon,

I scored 0 points for Following a route.
My incontinence (amongst other things) prevents me from following a route. For example, i can't use buses as I need to be in a car so that I can quickly return home, or go to parent's house, if nearer, to use the bathroom.
I need my wife to quickly find a toilet for me if we're outside (especially in an unfamiliar place), because physical abilities stop me from rushing around quickly to find a toilet.

I have cataracts and my vision is very poor at night (lights are too bright and blurry, everything else is very dark and hard to see). Because of this, crossing the road is unsafe at night and I trip and fall often. My wife needs to help me back up and as I have osteoporosis and a bleeding disorder (plus take warfarin), falls are more of a danger to me.

I also mentioned various issues with following a journey in regard to severe fatigue, exhaustion, constant headache and stress - forgetting where I'm going, stepping out in to road without checking (and not hearing from left ear).

-The incontinence issues were not mentioned in the justification box.
-The issues with vision at night were discounted as "night time vision is poor which is not within the scope of this activity"
-The various issues relating to severe fatigue, exhaustion, constant headache and stress were dismissed because I "was fully alert....had adequate general memory and concentration" during the interview.

In your opinion, should any of the above 3 reasons be ignored/dismissed?
I agree that I managed to answer all the questions, but this was a morning assessment and not ordinary conditions. I was extremely stressed and worried and no doubt adrenaline would have helped me be alert and concentrate.
My vision which is much worse at night, but should also be considered as during the morning in Winter months (i.e. during sunset).

One other thing, as I'm not sure if it should be counted as following/planning a route. I need someone to sleep with me for safety reasons. The reason being, I was in a hotel and the fire alarm went off. I was lying on my side with my good ear against the pillow and my CPAP machine on. I did not hear the fire alarm, but my wife woke me and helped me to get my shoes on quickly. Does this come under this section or any other?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #218711 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Following a route
gilders

You cannot score points for the Going Out activity due to a physical problem such as your incontinence unless you can show that you suffer anxiety when outside over your continence sufficient to cause you overwhelming psychological distress and due to this your cognitive abilities are so impaired that you cannot follow a route.

I'm afraid the requirement does not consider problems you might have going out at night if you do not have those problems during the day.

Again, exhaustion, headaches and stress will be considered as physical problems and will not score you points for Going Out.

Your sleep problems are outside of the criteria used for this activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilders

More
5 years 11 months ago #218720 by gilders
Replied by gilders on topic Following a route
Thank you for your reply Gordon. I am very grateful that you answer honestly and don't give people false hope, which can set them up for failure.

I am not trying to prove to you why my problems should entitle me to "Following route" points, but I'm not sure if I've explained myself fully on regard to exhaustion.
I agree that exhaustion in itself is physical, but don't the effects of exhaustion come under mental? When I forget where I'm going, it's the mental effects of exhaustion and when I'm so tired that I forgot to check for traffic when crossing the road, is this not classed as mental?
Like I said, I'm trying to prove to you it's mental, I just want to double check.

The other issue regarding incontinence. I will only leave the house if I have access to my car as I need it for reassurance that I can get to a toilet quick enough. So your bold print "overwhelming psychological distress" would be the case if I didn't have a car. As I do have a car available 50% of the time should I be able to claim for this distress or not? If I lose my Motability (like is looking likely), I won't be able to leave the house.

Thank you

More
5 years 11 months ago #218733 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Following a route
gilders

I'm afraid I still think that your arguments are weak but ultimately it is up to you whether you pursue this further or not, what I would say is they you will almost certainly have to take this to appeal, the panel will have more imagination when reviewing your problems.

If you do go forward with a challenge then you are going to have to review the terminology that you use, I don't in any way see "reassurance" as being synonymous with " overwhelming psychological distress"!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.