× Members

Is Change of Address a Problem for ESA Claimants?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218821 by BuddhaNature
Hi,

I am in Support Group ESA, awarded to June 2020. I also receive housing benefit for the address I currently occupy. However, I am on the council waiting-list to get a council house. I was speaking with someone today who said that if I'm on ESA and I change address then the DWP will transfer me over to Universal Credit. Is this information correct?

If it is correct, could you provide any details of what that actually means for the (ex-?)ESA claimant?

In this scenario what happens to the Support Group ESA claim? Does it get quashed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218834 by Gordon
BN

Providing you move within the same Local Authority then it should be treated as a modification of your existing agreement and this will not require a claim for UC.

If the house is in another LA then you would have to make a new claim for HB and this would mean a claim for UC if the LA is a Full Service area, if UC is not live in that area or it is only a Live Service area then you can still claim HB without the need to claim UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: BuddhaNature

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218869 by BuddhaNature
Replied by BuddhaNature on topic Is Change of Address a Problem for ESA Claimants?
Thank you Gordon. In my case, the information you provided is reassuring to me.

However, connected to this somewhat I notice that you speak of UC in the sense of a Full Service Area and a Live Service Area. Is there anywhere we can go to check under what designation our local UC (Jobcentre) falls under in this respect? I say this because I am totally terrified of approaching the DWP on any matter, hence it would be good if this information could be found without actually contacting the DWP.

Also is there somewhere where we can get a bit more detail on what is meant by Full and Live Service Areas?

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #218877 by Gordon
BN

Live Service areas are part of the initial roll-out of UC, this went so badly that they stopped new claims being made for UC in these areas, so moving to a Live Service area means that you can still claim HB instead of UC but you might see it described as a UC area.

In Full Service areas, you can only claim UC if you need to make a new claim for HB then it will be a UC claim.

You can check whether a postcode is a UC area on the following

ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: BuddhaNature

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.